Monday, May 15, 2023

Adventures In the Spring

I spent most of the morning finishing Sugar & Vice, one of the mysteries I picked up at the Mount Laurel Library. It was nearly 11:30 before I finally got to breakfast and Doc McStuffins. Stuffy becomes "The Scrapiest Dragon" while playing an intense ping pong match with Hallie. He doesn't want to stop playing, but Doc reminds him that you have to clean up a scrape right away, so it doesn't get infected. Doc's action figure Awesome Guy is "Going for Broke" when he tries to compete in every event in McStuffins Toyathon. After he yanks out his arm trying to extend it like the springy or gooey toys, Doc has to fix him up and remind him that being awesome doesn't mean you're great at everything.

Switched to Match Game '77 as I cleaned up from breakfast and got ready to head out. There's a lot of jokes early-on about a contestant who isn't sure he can answer "bra" to a question about what Gloria VaVoom asks a director if a starlet can fill. The eventual winner doesn't come off much better, going with a now-relatively obscure answer to "Julie __" likely because Richard said it. 

Headed out around 12:30. I didn't have my physical therapy appointment for another hour, so I thought I'd run some errands first. Dollar General did have the Sunbelt Bakery granola bars I like, but not the Propel mixes. I grabbed the granola bars and moved on. 

It was such a nice day, I took the long way there through Audubon, down Hopkins Road to Crystal Lake Avenue. The weather was perfect, sunny, with a sweet-smelling wind and a brilliant blue sky. Couldn't have been a nicer day in mid-May. Yards are filled with emerald green trees and grass that make a perfect contrast to velvety purple irises. 

I wanted to check for Propel at the Rite Aid in the same mall as the physical therapy office, but there wasn't much left there. Everything in the store was 50 percent off, and holiday items were 75 percent off. Turns out they were shutting down for good. I'm honestly surprised they lasted there as long as they did. That spot is kind of in the middle of nowhere, and there is that Target down the street.

Arrived at physical therapy five minutes early, but there was a long line of older women who were working on their mobility, and it took me longer to get in. When I did sign in, we mostly worked on my flexibility, and above all, my balance. I think that's where a lot of the problems with my ankles and knees stem from in the first place. I really couldn't stand on one foot or balance on a tipping board for more than a few seconds without grabbing hold of the bar on the wall. I'll see if I can find more ways to work on that at home.

Had lunch at Geneva Pizza, the small pizzeria on Cuthbert Road. I went there mainly for them being one of the few area pizza shops with outdoor seating. It was too gorgeous to eat inside. I enjoyed a slice of cheese, a small square slice of tomato, mozzarella, and basil, and a Diet Coke in peace. 

Stopped at Family Dollar after I crossed Cuthbert. They didn't have Propel, either. I finally just bought a cheaper lemon-lime electrolyte brand. I did get some praise from the gentleman at the desk, who said my constant bike-riding had inspired him to get out, ride his bike, and get in shape, too. 

Went straight home after that, dodging kids coming out of Clyde S. Jennings Elementary School on my way. When I got in, I took the laundry downstairs and the recycling outside, then tried to focus on writing. I ended up looking up movies to review while Lauren's here instead.

Finally broke to put my laundry in the dryer and have dinner at 7. Buzzr's gone back to the first episode of Match Game Syndicated again. The new series kicks off with Eva Gabor matching almost every answer for a change and the director focusing the camera over Charles' head after he criticizes the directing.

Finished off the night after I brought the laundry upstairs with a freebee on YouTube I'd never heard of before. The Master of the World is Robur (Vincent Price), the owner of a technically-advanced airship whose accidental broadcast sets off panic among the residents of a small Pennsylvania town. He captures the wealthy industrialist Prudent (Henry Hull), his daughter Dorothy (Mary Webster), her fiancee Phillip Evans (David Frankham), and US government agent John Strock (Charles Bronson) when he shoots down their hot air balloon. Robur is obsessed with forcing the world powers to destroy their arms by showing them his military might. His prisoners just want to escape, but Evans isn't sure about Strock's loyalties. 

I have to give American International credit. They put out some darn good movies for being a low-budget outfit. They were apparently going for an Around the World In 80 Days vibe, but given this is based on two Jules Verne novels, it has a lot more in common with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Price has the most fun as the fanatical Robur, but Bronson's better than you might think in an atypical role as the agent who has his own reasons for seeming to go along with the peace-obsessed scientist. If you're a fan of Verne or other historical sci-fi fantasy extravaganzas of the 50's and 60's, this one is definitely worth flying in for. 

No comments: