Thursday, May 18, 2023

Angels In the Neighborhood

Started off the morning with breakfast and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. Katarina is upset when Margaret plays with her brother, but won't play with her. Mrs. Tiger encourages her to "Find What Makes Your Family Special." She loves to dance with her mom, Henrietta Pussycat...and she gets her mom all to herself. Jodi Platt sometimes gets annoyed with her twin toddler brothers, but she realizes having twin brothers is pretty special, too. It's "Family Day" at the library. Each family in the neighborhood draws their portraits on leaves attached to a cardboard branch, then inserts it into a paper "tree." Daniel isn't sure what's special about his family, until he realizes having a baby sister and being tigers who roar together is definitely cool.

Karen picked me up at 10 minutes to 10. We were still trying to get the Federal Aid form done when Karen wanted to print it out. She called a librarian over to help her try to hook up her laptop to their system so she could print from there. It didn't work, but we did hear the librarian talk a lot about what she does and how hard it is to deal with the public. Both women came to the conclusion that, before I make a life-altering decision about school, maybe I should talk to local libraries and archives and ask questions about their jobs. I also need to push getting a part-time job as a library assistant or archival assistant to get more experience.

On one hand, yes, we probably do need more information...but I'm not really sure what else I COULD do besides some form of library or archival work. I do know I need to get out of the Acme as soon as possible. I loathe the job, and have for twenty years. I can't handle retail. And I really want to make enough money to buy an apartment or a condo and get out of the attic as soon as I can.

I wasn't in the best mood when I came home. Spent the next 40 minutes looking at jobs, and then having lunch while watching Match Game '77. It's too bad the last two days of the week featuring Eva Gabor, Joyce Bulifant, and Gary Burghoff are currently lost. The episodes that exist are adorable. I love Joyce's answer to why pirates go crazy for Long John Silver's sister's chest and Gary's imitation of his former acting teacher Charles.

I was late rushing out on the bike...and of course, half-way through, that loose chain came off. Got lucky that a cop stopped and helped me. Even with his aid, I was still fifteen minutes late to work.

Not that it mattered. We were dead almost the entire afternoon. The only times we had lines were when we were short on help and only one or two registers were open. I did have some grouchy customers, and at least two people put back significant chunks of their orders when they were short on funds. Other than that, there were no major problems. I spent a lot of the day shelving candy and got off with no trouble whatsoever.

Took the long way home down Nicholson Road to enjoy a gorgeous, sunny day that was windy and much cooler than it has been, barely in the 60's. The rush hour traffic was pretty strong on Nicholson and the White Horse Pike, but once I went up the hill and into Oaklyn, the traffic vanished. 

Soon as I got home, I went upstairs, changed, and rested while watching Reveille With Beverly on YouTube. I go further into this World War II B musical featuring Ann Miller and some of the best big bands of the 40's at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 


Went back online briefly to look at jobs after the movie ended, then had dinner while watching Match Game Syndicated. For once, Brett gets to pick on Charles by giving him the award for stealing her answer...which, of course, he hadn't done. David Doyle does his best to help the contestant with "__ Speaking" in the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night online after a shower with Charlie's Angels. They're "Hula Angels" in the fifth season when the owner of a hula-themed girlie show in Hawaii is held for a million-dollar ransom his wife can't afford to pay. Julie and Kris join the show as go-go and hula dancers, while Bosley and Kelly ask around to find out if the guy had any enemies and where his money went to. 

No comments: