Thursday, May 11, 2023

Camden Legal

Started off the morning with breakfast and Charlie & Lola. Lotta and Lola claim "Our Shop Sells Everything" when they play store outside. The one thing they're not supposed to sell are Charlie's goggles. He needs them to go swimming. Lola has to do some fancy trading to keep both the goggles and the play cash register they used for their store.

And yeah, I called out of work. I wasn't sure what would happen with Jury Duty. They said I'd get paid as long as I brought in a letter saying I was there. 

No trouble on the road coming or going. There was a little traffic in Camden at quarter of 8, but nothing horrible. The drive on the way there was kind of scary, going through some of the less-attractive parts of the city. Thankfully, the driver going home stuck to the highways. 

I arrived at 8:05, with ten minutes to spare. I'm not going heavily into details because, for one thing, we're not really supposed to, but...I didn't end up on a jury. I made it to the jury room, but told the judge I just couldn't do it. Not only was my anxiety kicking into high gear, but I didn't think I could be impartial about the trial itself. The judge (who looked a little like Charles Nelson Reilly in glasses and a dapper bow tie) kindly let me go. I went downstairs, they signed me out, and that ended my jury duty. Considered eating lunch at one of the food trucks outside, but I ultimately just called Uber. I was home by quarter of 12.

When I got home, I had lunch while watching Match Game '77 and printed out that letter off the "My Portal" juror site. Greg Morris, Dick Martin, and Patty Duke joined in for these episodes. Gene teased Fannie Flagg about not having a certain answer to a question in the first episode, then got quite a shock when she actually had it. He also made jokes about a customer's heavy southern accent, which tickled fellow southerner Fannie. The second episode ended with Patty Duke reading a question, and quite enjoying herself.

It was once again too nice to hang around inside. I went for a stroll after lunch. My stomach was still doing flip-flops, even more than an hour after I got home, so I bought a mint macha tea drink from WaWa to settle it. Walked around the neighborhood behind the WaWa and down by West Clinton, enjoying the beautiful sunshine, fresh breezes, and rainbows of flowers in blooming gardens. I even ran into Rose on the White Horse Pike going for a run of her own.

When I got home, I did a few chores around my rooms while watching That Night In Rio. I go further into this 1941 vehicle for Don Ameche, Alice Faye, and Carmen Miranda at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening writing and looking up jobs. Gene's horrified when he remembers they left Gary watching the bandit in the jail, which has been blown sky-high. Richard wants to protect the gold, but he's worried about the boy, too. He can't be in two places at once, or can he?

Broke for dinner at 7. Watched Match Game '79 as I ate. Richard Paul, Daryl Anderson of Lou Grant, and Donna Pescow of Angie and Saturday Night Fever join in here. Gene was really floored by a goofy contestant who was as funny as he was, while Daryl and Charles comment on swapping glasses.

Finished the night online watching The Blood Waters of Dr. Z, aka Zaat, on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Under any name, this one was bad. A mad scientist turns himself into a fish-like monster, and first attacks his colleagues who mocked his formula, then kidnaps beautiful young girls to turn into fish-women. Two scientists come to the lake where he works to figure out what's going on, but he's able to hypnotize the female.

Yikes. Slow-moving and poorly acted, with one of the worst-looking fish man costumes I've ever seen. To give it a little credit, it does have some nice shots of northern Florida where it was set and shot, including the historic Marineland aquarium and two natural springs, and has a fairly diverse cast for a horror film from 1971. But it takes forever to get going - the first ten minutes are literally just the doctor wandering around (and not looking much better as a human than he did as a monster) - and when it does, the terrible acting, stilted script, and ridiculous fish costume neutralize any scares there might have been. The robots were right to mock this one. Don't come here unless you're a really big fan of terrible films. 

No comments: