Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Sweet Harts

Got a quick start today with A Sunlit Weapon and writing in my journal. Rushed out just in time to get the Uber driver...and when I did get out, it was snowing hard. A light frosting covered the ground. The streets, however, were a tad slushy but mostly fine. I got a ride to work in 4 minutes and a ride going home in 6. No trouble whatsoever.

Work was crazy. The floral department is still trying to catch up with getting all the flowers and potted plants on the floor...and that was all I did today. I took orchids out of bags, tagged the smaller ones and surrounded them with grasses, and put the larger ones in cardboard tube-like wrapping. I pulled out many, many bouquets of roses, loaded them into large black buckets, and replaced empty or less-full buckets on the floor. 

I was very disappointed that I never got to make any arrangements myself, though. I was looking forward to even just doing a few rose bud vases like I did yesterday. Nope. Didn't happen. The floral manager had a customer service manager and a college girl from the home delivery department doing arrangements. They're also training to work in the floral department...but they weren't the ones who went to that seminar on how to make arrangements with the floral manager. I did. I guess it had to do with them being in earlier than I was, at 9 AM to my 10. By the time I came in, there were other things that needed to be done. 

The sun had long been out by the time I finished work. What little snow we got didn't survive the end of the storm. In fact, it was so nice, I went out to run errands after I got home and changed. Sent out two Valentine's cards for Lauren and her parents and Mom and the family in Virginia in the mail, then strolled to Dollar General and bought two more cards for friends. Stopped at Crown Chicken and Gyro for a very quiet fish gyro and fries on the way back.

Did job research while watching Been So Long. I went further into this lovely romantic musical drama from England on my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


I was delighted when my Valentine's Day present to myself, Roadshow: The Fall of Film Musicals In the 60's, finally showed up in the mail box. I splurged and picked up a hardback former library copy in nearly-new shape on eBay. I've been fascinated by these lumbering failures ever since movies like Oliver! and Hello Dolly made frequent appearances on cable in the 80's and 90's. Some of them, like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dolly, and Finian's Rainbow, are personal favorites of mine despite critical drubbings. Others - the deadly dull Camelot, the too-big-for-its-story Happiest Millionaire, the overstuffed Star! - were too much then and now. And there's a few, like the lovely and underrated musical Goodbye Mr. Chips, that I'm glad have been receiving reassessments of late. 

Looked over the book while Match Game '79 was on. Lee Merriweather is nervous as  heck about matching "__ Counselor" in the Head to Head in the first episode. Bill Daily has a rougher time with "__ Exit." He gets even wilder in the second episode, thanks to some of his stranger answers, but at least he manages to do better by "__ Winters." 

Switched to Hart to Hart at the Roku Channel next. It's "Harts and Flowers" when Max enters the rose he named after Jennifer in a huge flower contest, but they think Jennifer entered it. The mistake turns deadly when someone seems to be killing off the competitors one by one, and Jennifer may be next on their list.

Finished the night with more Valentine's Day specials. I went further into The Berenstain Bears' Comic Valentine at Musical Dreams Movie Reviews last February. 


Olive Oyl is fed up with Popeye forgetting Valentine's Day and takes a "swinging singles cruise." They become Sweethearts at Sea when Popeye and Bluto follow her, hoping to win her heart. Also aboard is The Sea Hag, who poses as a gorgeous princess in an attempt to woo Popeye. When that doesn't work, she gets together with Bluto in order to win both their hearts' desires.

Disney's DTV Valentine from 1986 is a TV special based around the DTV music video series on The Disney Channel. Mickey, Donald, Jiminy Cricket, and Professor Ludwig Von Drake introduce music videos featuring either romantic pop songs like Whitney Houston's "Give Good Love" and Elvis Presley's "Teddy Bear" or ballads from Disney movies like "Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty and "Someday My Prince Will Come" from Snow White. 

If you enjoyed those, here's even more vintage Valentine's Day specials on the funny side of love for you and your sweetheart!

No comments: