Tuesday, March 26, 2024

It's a Wonderful World

Began a late morning with breakfast and Paw Patrol. "Pups Save the Easter Egg Hunt" when Mayor Goodway breaks her arm and can't decorate enough eggs in time. Alex has an extra big egg to decorate...one that turns out to belong to a bald eagle! She flies away with the eggs, Rocky, and Chickaletta, prompting the remaining Patrol pups to go after them.

Switched to Press Your Luck as I got organized. One guy just kept getting hit with Whammies in the first round. The lady and the bigger gentleman did much better. They were just starting the second round when I finally headed out.

Wanted to run to Dollar General for the last of my Easter shopping. Bought light-up bracelets for Olivia and Penny's Easter treat bags and a dinosaur-themed water bottle for Khai's, along with strawberry Jello mix for the cake I'm going to make later in the week. They had the Kind granola bars in again, so I grabbed a box.

Though it was a bit cloudy by the time I was out and about, it was also much warmer, probably into the upper 50's, and the wind had died down to a pleasant breeze. I was fine in a sweater and my light suede jacket. Celebrated the lovely spring weather with lunch at Phillies Phatties. All they had available were cheese and pepperoni pies, so that's what I had. Watched GMA3 on Channel 6 as I ate my slices and sipped a can of Diet Pepsi. Frankly, the dad who came in with the most adorable little girl who couldn't have been more than two was vastly more entertaining. 

I've been wanting to try Heartbeat Nutrition across the street again for a while, but they're only open from 11 to 2 on weekdays (and are closed Wednesday and Thursday). They focus on shakes, iced tea, and juice drinks made from the freshest and healthiest ingredients. I had an Irish Potato milkshake, which I believe was oat or nut milk with coconut, cinnamon, and coconut flavoring. Not bad. The nut milk made it slightly bland, but I love coconut in anything. They're expensive - the shake cost me $10 - but tasty. 

On my way down West Clinton, I saw a narrow white dresser with gray cloth drawers on the sidewalk. The cloth containers were pilled and ripped, but they could be replaced. The actual shelf was in perfect shape. I thought they'd be perfect to hold my socks, underthings, and pads and get the last-named off the floor in my bedroom. 

After I got home and organized my new dresser, I went downstairs to make my big Easter surprise. I thought I'd try my own version of the Acme's candy cookies with pastel M&Ms. I couldn't find the baking powder, so I hoped a tablespoon of Pepsi would give a similar lift and add a nice, sweet flavor. Oh yum! Must have worked, because these wound up being possibly the best cookies I ever made. They spread just enough, and were soft, chewy, and sweet. If it's not too warm for baking and I can find red, white, and blue M&Ms, maybe I'll do these for Memorial Day, too. 

After I loaded the cookies into bags for Easter, I went back upstairs to do job hunting and watch The Singing Nun. I go further into this semi-biography of the Belgian sister who became a sensation with her song "Dominique" at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Switched to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at Disney Plus after the movie ended. "Mickey's Springtime Surprise" is an egg hunt for all of his friends. Mickey and Minnie give clues that send the others off looking for eggs with decorations that match the shapes described. They have to watch out for Funny Bunny Pete, who is determined to snitch and hide their eggs.

Worked on writing for a while next. Kathleen is tired of winter. She's hoping to start making enough money to buy a home of her own once the weather improves. All of the homes in her town are taken or too expensive. Mrs. Rowland says she can stay there indefinitely, but she wants a place of her own. 

Broke for dinner and Match Game Syndicated at 7 PM. The next episode has an offensive answer and is now banned on regular television (though it is on YouTube), so Buzzr skipped to the one after that. We kick off with everyone being flummoxed after Mary Ann Mobley gives the obvious answer to "Chef __" on the Audience Match. Richard Kiel has the best - or at least the most creative - answer to who would make the biggest crater falling out of the sky.

Finished the night working on the review for The Singing Nun while listening to spring-themed records. There probably isn't a better time to listen to George Benson's gentle piano album Winter Into Spring than right now. The opening tracks "January Stars" and "February Sea" are especially pretty.

The Music of Spring is one of two early 60's Columbia Masterworks collections I have that are centered around spring-themed music. My favorite song here is the lively instrumental version of "Younger Than Springtime" by Ray Conniff and His Orchestra and Chorus. We also have a lovely "April In Paris" by Leslie Uggams, Jerry Vale's bouncy "Camelot," "The Sweetest Sounds" by Patti Page, and a charming "It's a Wonderful World" by Vic Damone. 

No comments: