Thursday, March 14, 2024

Spring Fever

Began the morning with breakfast and the second season (er, helping) of Green Eggs and Ham. Sam is dying to know "The Mom Identity." His only clue is the green eggs and ham she made for him. After Guy's new invention shop explodes, he and E.B join him in East Flubria to find her chicken factory. They do manage to find the factory, then Sam's childhood home...but his mother has moved out. Turns out Sam's mother is doing work that's far more dangerous - and important to two warring countries - than working at an egg factory...

Thankfully, Karen is feeling much better, well enough for us to get together this morning. I'm getting worried, and Karen's boss is getting upset. I should have found a job by now, but I still really don't know what I want to do. I feel terrible about it. We finally applied for an editing job with the American Association for Cancer Research. Having lost my father, my stepfather, my uncle, and my first stepmother to cancer, that is something I feel strongly about. 

Went upstairs briefly to grab my purse and a bag and check something online, then went right back out. It was too nice to be inside all day. The sun was out, the sky was a searing deep blue, and the wind had gentled down to a breeze. It's supposed to drop back into the 40's by next week, so I wanted to enjoy the weather while I could. 

Made a quick stop at the Westmont WaWa for money and a Propel, then headed a block down to Samaritan Thrift. They were busy with ladies on their lunch break looking for cool and inexpensive stuff. I didn't have nearly the luck I have the last few times I came here. Found a pale blue lace-trimmed shirt with a K-Mart label. I may never see one of those again. Also picked up two 25 cent Easter cards for Mom and Keefe and Lauren and her parents.

Had lunch across the street at Que Ricas, the Venezuelan sandwich shop. Decided to try "the Shaggy" arepa, shredded chicken with grilled plantains, fried queso blanco, tomatoes, and cilantro sauce. Oh, yum! It was absolutely delicious, especially that fried cheese. Had it with a bottle of Coke Zero.

Headed a block down to Phideilty Records after lunch. They were a lot quieter than the mob at Samaritan across the street. I only saw one other woman, and she was looking for rap or reggae albums for her boyfriend in Brazil. No DVDs this time, but I did pick up six records (four from the one and two dollar bins) and a CD. 

Made my way down Cuthbert and the White Horse Pike to Haddon Heights next. Despite it being almost rush hour and most of the local kids having just gotten out of school, I thought it would be faster to stick to the main roads. I pulled in at Station Avenue Antiques around 3 PM.

Sometime in the eight months since I last visited them, Station Avenue Antiques started selling records on a large scale. They now had their own racks of newer records and boxes of older ones for a dollar. Dug a record out of a dollar bin and a more expensive one from the bin with the soundtracks, but didn't get anything else here. Had to dodge a lot of people here too who were out strolling or on their way back from work.

My finds today were:

The soundtracks from Roller Boogie, Sweet Charity, Reveille for Beverly, and Jam Session (the last two share a record)

The World of Swing, a two-disc Columbia collection of swing numbers, some of them obscure now.

Two K-Tel collections, Expressions and Top Star Festival

The Stylistics - The Best of the Stylistics

Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians - New Year's Eve with Guy Lombardo

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain, the lone CD 

Headed down West Atlantic Avenue in an attempt to avoid the rush-hour traffic. I forgot East Atlantic is the street that goes under King's Highway and did have to cross there. Rode over the train bridge into Oaklyn to avoid the same mistake. 

Common Grounds Coffee Shop in Oaklyn was also very busy with families taking their children to dance classes or kids out of school looking for a more substantial treat than ice cream. I did see that Phillies Yummies had opened for the season, but despite the nice day, I wanted something stronger myself. Ended up with a Shamrock Mint Matcha (mint matcha green tea with milk) and a raspberry cream cheese "chuffin," a cinnamon roll baked in a muffin tin. Yum! The tea was wonderful, just minty enough, and the the chuffin was sweet and moist.

The floor show was pretty cute, too. There was this adorable red-headed toddler boy in a plaid shirt and suspenders who had too much energy to sit down. He jumped about and observed everyone around him, including me. He even called me pretty. Toddlers have exceedingly good taste nowadays.

Went straight into Girl Happy when I got home. I go into further detail on this Elvis vehicle about him chaperoning Shelly Fabares during spring break in Ft. Lauderdale at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Broke for dinner at 7 PM. Robert Walden of Lou Grant and Judy Landers from the first season of Vega$ really upped the attractiveness quotient this week. Gene starts off by praising Charles, maybe a little too much, while Charles introduces Brett as Arlene Francis for some reason. There's also the contestant in the wild blue and white plaid jacket who is a real Renaissance man, and not a bad player, either. 

Finished the night with the Roller Boogie soundtrack while I worked on the Girl Happy review. As I discovered when I reviewed it back in September 2021, this movie has some really good songs for a disco roller skating musical.  My favorites are Cher's opening number "Hell On Wheels" and Earth, Wind, and Fire's huge hit "Boogie Wonderland." Other good songs you can partner skate to include "Good Girls" by Johnny Coolrock, "Evil Man" and "All For One, and One for All" by Mavis Vegas Davis, and "Takin' Life Into My Own Hands" by Ron Green. 

No comments: