Saturday, March 30, 2024

Springtime Matches

Started off the morning with breakfast and a pair of animated spring specials on YouTube. I go further into the Easter tale Peter and the Magic Egg and the last Berenstain Bears special, The Berenstain Bears Play Ball, at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Hurried out to work right as Play Ball ended. Spent most of a busy afternoon pushing carts. The head bagger kept ending up in a register or going in for someone's break, so I was alone for most of the afternoon. I have no idea who won the hot dog eating contest. I had to sweep when it was going on. Oh, and as it turned out, they just had leftover hot dogs in the back. Despite the flyer saying people could bring sides, no one brought any. 

(I also found out why I got so many hours next week. Eight people took off for Easter break, including the head bagger. I do want to take my birthday weekend off in two weeks, but I'm mostly going to wait until Lauren visits in June for long vacations.) 

It was sunny and windy when I rode to work. Silvery clouds moved in around 1:30. It showered lightly off and on for the rest of the day. Thankfully, the rain held off as I hurried home, though it remained a bit windy and chilly.

Soon as I got in, I took a shower, then cut up what I could salvage of the strawberry loaf cake and brought that and dinner upstairs. Watched tonight's Match Game marathon while I ate. Tonight, we saw some of the biggest winners ever on the syndicated nighttime show. And considering the contestants could win up to $21,000, there were some big winners. 

Bill Daily actually managed to come up a winner twice later in the series, once with a $20,000. He was so excited about it! One contestant told Richard she wanted four kisses for her and her family. He gave her those four kisses, then dipped her for one more! Gene's crack to a Japanese-American man who was in World War II would have gotten him into more trouble nowadays. Joey Bishop was a little annoyed in 1976 that a contestant who claimed she wanted money to fly home actually lived in Burbank, where the show was filmed.

See who came up a big winner this Easter weekend in this wild marathon! 


My second Amazon package arrived while I was upstairs. Yes, my new record player came! I love it. It's bright red and has shiny chrome trim and cool vintage knobs for the volume and to turn it off and on. I had to turn it sideways to get it where the old one was, but other than that, it's awesome. I also bought a new record set to play on it, which arrived yesterday. If you can believe it, at press time there is a musical version of Back to the Future on Broadway and in London. Considering how big those movies were in my childhood, I had to hear it. I gave the old record player to a friend who says her daughter now collects records.

Lawrence Welk and his musical family also had big Easter parties this weekend. Their '69 show started with everyone singing "A Tisket, a Tasket" in a yellow basket. Then-popular country singer Charley Pride joins in as Cissy King and Bobby Burgess dances a bunny hop in rather goofy costumes. Norma Zimmer and Jimmy Roberts are waiting "After the Shower Is  Done," while Roberts leads the "Easter Parade." A very pregnant Jo Anne Castle is a female Easter bunny playing "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" while fellow bunny Arthur Duncan taps along.

1978 began with the Easter parade in Victorian costumes. Bobby and Cissy do "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" in fancy dress here. Kathie Sullivan reminds everyone why we'll be worshipping "Next Sunday Morning." Ken Delo has more fun with "It's a Lovely Day Today." Anacani gets "This Little Light of Mine," while Arthur's tap number is "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise." 

Anacani and Delo get my favorite number from the 1980 Easter episode. Anacani's an adorably hilarious little girl singing "Peter Cottontail" while Easter Bunny Delo hides the eggs in the background. We also get a nice "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" with Jack Imel and Mary Lou Metzinger, while trumpeter Bobby Zell gives us the instrumental jazz solo "My Tribute." Burgess encores "Sunday Clothes" with his new partner Elaine Niverson. 

Celebrate Easter with your family and Lawrence Welk's!


And here's even more vintage holiday specials to tide you over until it's time to find the eggs!

No comments: