Sunday, July 31, 2016

Those Oldies But Goodies

Started off a partly cloudy morning with some quick Blueberry Pancakes before hurrying off to early work. It wasn't bad when I came in. I did get stuck in the register once, but I mostly did returns. I had plenty of help, too. There were at least two other baggers there for most of the morning. It picked up by 11:30-noon. I spent the last hour and a half helping with carts. It was hot and humid, if not quite as hot as it has been the last few weeks. The heavy clouds above me would look threatening for a few minutes...then the sun would emerge.

It was still on-and-off cloudy when I got home. I changed, had a quick leftovers lunch, then packed up my laundry and headed back out again. I heard it was supposed to rain tomorrow. I wanted to get my load done now, before Mother Nature figured out what she was doing. It's just as well I had a very small load. They were busy as heck. I got one of the last remaining washers when I arrived. There were lots of families and couples getting their weekly load done, too. Thankfully, by the time my clothes were in the dryer, it was starting to clear out.

When I got home, I put everything away, then worked on writing. I eliminated the need for Jabba to drug Leia. He uses Han's siren voice to put Leia in a trance. He wants her to agree to kiss him and marry him - it'll turn her into his slave and leave Han as a beast forever. A certain dogfish and Leia's beloved brother crash the party and attack Jabba, breaking his hold on her.

I'm still having problems with Windows 10. The start menu wouldn't work again. Getting off "selected start-up" helped there...but then my computer crashed again. I have no idea why Windows 10 won't work on my computer. I was really hoping to not have to fiddle with drivers, especially since my computer says mine is fine...but if this keeps up, I may have to uninstall and reinstall an updated one.

I listened to my Golden Treasures oldies record set while eating more leftovers from yesterday's party for dinner. I totally forgot I had this set. I need to listen to it more often. Not only does it include old favorites like "Five O'Clock World," "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head," "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey," and the original "Rockin' Robin," but it (inadvertantly) came with a bonus. I bought this set from an estate sale several years ago. Two more oldies collections must have been put into the wrong album sleeve. I didn't realize it until I was long home. Oh well, more for me to listen to.

Finished out the night with more Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures. I was looking forward to the next rounds. Last Crusade has been my favorite Indiana Jones movie since it came out in 1989. Like the second Lego Indy game, we skip the "Indy as a kid" opening in favor of going right into the story. The first one takes us over, above, and under Venice in search of Sir Richard's tomb. Building that infamous "X" in the library (that Indy claims never marks the spot) is especially fun. The boat race is more challenging - it's hard to catch the man in the speedboat long enough to ram him!

"Castle Rescue" is a bit easier. You first have to get Indy and Elsa Schinider to where Dr. Jones is being held, then get the Jones duo out of the castle. The last part with the bazooka that shoots missiles (that often blow up your character along with what they're aiming at) was the toughest to figure out.

"Motorcycle Chase" is harder. You are on motorcycles, but this is no crash-and-bash. You have to get off of them to hit officers, steal their hats, and convince the Nazis to let you pass. It took me a while to figure out the part with the bridge, too - you have to shoot the lenses to get the material to raise the bridge. And the end, where you have to use the bazookas to blow up mounted guns (and more often than not, get blown apart yourself) was more than a little frustrating.

Hopefully, things will be better the next time I play - it'll likely be moving on to an airplane chase and a zeppelin ride.

(Oh, and to date, it still hasn't rained. We'll see what happens.)

No comments: