Tuesday, February 04, 2020

After the Rain Was Gone

I awoke to a rainy, gloomy morning. Thankfully, the rain had already begun to clear out as I ate my breakfast and watched Press Your Luck. This may be the most exciting episode I've seen yet! Everyone kept getting Whammies in the first round, leaving no contestant with any money. The one woman got four Whammies straight off in the second half and was knocked out, but the guys kept passing their spins back and forth as they earned more money and prizes. In the end, the slightly older man finally got one last Whammy that knocked him out and let the other man win a Caribbean vacation and wide-screen TV, among other prizes. It got so crazy, host Peter Tomarken flopped over his podium in sheer exhaustion when they finished!

After all that, I was more than happy when Buzzr moved on to Blockbusters and I moved on to making the bed. An older woman went up against a mother-daughter team. It was neck-and-neck for a while, but the daughter finally came up with the last hexagon that won them the game.

Continued on with Match Game while cleaning the bathroom and going over old journals in the back room. Robert Mandan of the sitcom Soap joins Brett, Gene, Charles, and semi-regulars Lee "Catwoman" Merriweather, impressionist Richard Paul, and Betty White. I used to love Soap when I was a kid, though I'm pretty sure I didn't understand any of what went on in it. Mandan did pretty well for his first time, too, including winning a Head-To-Head bonus round for a contestant.

Moved on to cleaning the kitchen and running Downton Abbey next. Season 2 ends with a run of marriages. Lavinia (Zoe Boyle) is set to wed Abbey heir Matthew (Dan Stevens), while valet Bates (Brendan Coyle) secretly marries head housemaid Anna (Joanne Froggett). Lord Grantham (Hugh Bonneville) tries to figure out what to do with his feelings about maid Jane (Clare Calbraith), but he knows how he feels about his daughter Sybil (Jessica Brown Findlay) becoming engaged to chauffeur Branson (Allen Leech). His Lordship attempts to buy Branson off before he realizes how determined the young people are. Everything changes when Cora, Lavinia, and butler Carson (Jim Carter) are all hit with the Spanish flu during the infamous flu epidemic of 1918 and Bates is accused of killing his wife.

Switched to more Peanuts specials while eating lunch and writing out the rent. Charlie Brown would do anything to ask the Little Red Haired Girl to the school dance in A Charlie Brown Valentine, but he ends up taking Peppermint Patty and Marcie. Meanwhile, Sally and Lucy would be happy if their crushes would give them the time of day, and Snoopy is recruited to write everyone's valentines.

Chuck finds another girl to drool over in Someday You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown. He somehow manages to fall for a beautiful girl he sees for two seconds in the crowd at a football game on TV and drags Linus, Snoopy, and Woodstock across town and into the country to find her. Even when he does, he still can't talk to her and hopes Linus will act as his second.

As I prepared to leave, I found an envelope stuck in my door. It turned out to be the new rental agreement...which had been raised almost a 100 dollars to 850. I don't know what I'm going to do, or why she keeps raising the rent this high. They can fix all the windows and porches they want, but in the end, it's still a small three-room apartment with bad carpeting, a teeny kitchen, and an unheated room in the back. Unfortunately, as I discovered last year when I looked for apartments, I can't afford to go anywhere else. No one will take me with my lack of finances. I need to talk to Rose and try to convince her to lower that rent.

(At least  the rain was long gone. It remained cloudy and in the 60's for the rest of the day, but it never rained again.)

For the time being, I needed another check. I messed up on the other rent check. PNC in Collingswood was dead when I arrived. I went in, bought my check, and went out.

Dodged traffic coming out of Haddon Township High School and headed down Cuthbert to the library. They were just as busy with kids coming out of class and into the library and children's activities. They were holding the adult DVDs for one of the teen volunteers, but I did shelve the kid titles. Once again, didn't take anything out. I'm still exploring Roku and working on Downton Abbey.

Stopped really quick at Target for sugar. It's cheaper there than at Dollar General or the Acme. I grabbed the sugar, rang it up in self-checkout, and headed out.

Went into writing to cheer myself up when I got in. Revised the previous sequence. Charles is enjoying his time at the Summer-Winter Castle. Bill spends time trying to court Marcia, while Brett and Gene attempt to teach him about magic and Richard teaches him to use a sword, or tries to. The only fly in the ointment is the dream the entire crowd has every night that lands them in the garden in fine clothes. Brett suspect something is up, but they don't know what, until they hear something rustling in the bushes...

Broke for leftovers at 6:30. Match Game went backwards to 1975 for one of their best weeks. Husband-and-wife Password king and queen Allen Ludden and Betty White joined Gene, the regulars, and adorable Brit Dolly Martin as two lovely lady contestants did their best matching. That sweet girl was finally defeated on Sale of the Century by a contestant named Chou Chou whom had also turned up a decade earlier in Password Plus (and won big there, too). She didn't have as much luck at the bonus round, though.

Finished the night with Descendants. I go further into this wildly popular Disney Channel musical about the children of Disney villains going to school with the "good" kids at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

Musicals On TV - Descendants (2015)

No comments: