Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Of Sunshine and Things

I slept so late, it was nearly noon before I finished my journal and got going. Ran The Backyardigans on Paramount Plus as I had brunch. "The Legend of the Volcano Sisters" has Legendary Luau Brothers Pablo the Swift, Tyrone the Strong, and Just Austin having to figure out how to appease the goddesses of the title (Uniqua and Tasha). If they can't figure out what they want, they'll make the volcano blow and destroy their luau! Pablo and Tyrone bring them large or lavish gifts, but they're not impressed until Austin figures out what it is they're really after.

Let it run into Press Your Luck as I got moving. Got to hear the questions and most of the Whammy-laden first round. I left as soon as the commercials came on.

Once again, it was too beautiful of a day to sit around and do nothing. The sun was out, the sky was blue, and it was even warmer, probably into the upper 60's-lower 70's. I decided to try another long bike ride. I had a bag of things I didn't want that I was originally going to drop off at the church in Audubon. I forgot to do it on Saturday, and since they won't be open again for another two weeks, I decided on Goodwill instead. 

Having already brought at least two bags of donations to the Audubon Goodwill this year alone, I thought I'd give the one in Pennsauken on Route 70 a try. Cut across Collingswood, hoping to avoid having to go over the Cooper River. Turned out there was no way around it. If I wanted to ride to Route 70, I'd have to cross the bridge.

Thankfully, I really only needed to cross the smaller one that went over the river, not the higher and more traffic-laden one that goes over the highway. I got turned around on the tiny streets in Collingswood looking for Cooper River Park. Finally rode to the end of a street and cut across what turned out to be a charming little park and playground. It even had thick modern versions of a merry-go-round and balance beam. I couldn't resist giving them a quick try before moving on.

I wasn't the only person who decided to walk or ride to Pennsauken today. I saw many joggers or people pushing strollers over the bridge and continuing into the park. I made the mistake of passing the park and walking on the narrow dirt path next to the exit ramp. That got me to Route 70, but it was nerve-wracking, and I kept running into low hanging branches. At any rate, I rode two blocks down from the ramp and found myself across from the Goodwill.

The Pennsauken Goodwill is twice the size of the one in Audubon. It even has a whole room for furniture. Unfortunately, the rest of the building is given over to racks and racks of clothes. There's some racks of housewares and toys as you come in and a wall of CDs, but barely any books, and one small pile of records. Despite that, I managed to walk out with three T-shirts in a pretty coral and blue flower print, a blue sea-print, and a pink Winnie the Pooh, two records, and four CDs. 

By the time I left, it was past 2:30. I did see a Dunkin' Donuts and a pizzeria about two blocks away in a small shopping center, but I ultimately decided I wanted to get back across Route 70 before the rush hour traffic started. This time, I cut through one of the modern apartment and townhouse communities bordering Cooper River Park and past the Park itself. It was really beautiful, almost glowing with the soft lime greens and cotton candy pinks of mid-spring. Needless to say, there were still a lot of people out walking the dogs, strolling with friends, or jogging as I rode past. 

Came out on Haddon Avenue across from the Genesis Counseling Center. I originally planned on eating at the Pop Shop, but not only was it 3:30 by then and too late for a big lunch, but they're a lot further down Haddon. I ended up at Grooveground Coffee Bar instead. Had a tasty egg sandwich on a bagel and a blueberry matcha, a slightly gritty blueberry green milk tea. They have a small selection of records there as well; ended up with two older Sinatra albums and one from Taylor Swift that was just released in October. 

Incidentally, between Grooveground and the Goodwill, I ended up with an awful lot of Sinatra:

Frank Sinatra - Sinatra and Swingin' Brass, Point of No Return, Sinatra Sings...Of Love and Things, and In the Wee Small Hours

Johnny Mathis - I Just Found Out About Love

Taylor Swift - 1989 (Taylor's Version)

The CDs are mainly collections in one way or another, along with a beloved jazz album:

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Malt Shop Memories: All I Have to Do Is Dream

This Is Jazz Sampler 21

Jump n' Jive (A swing and jazz collection made during the height of the late 90's neo-swing fad for, of all companies, Bed Bath and Beyond.) 

Ironically, my musical review for today also features Sinatra. He's one of three hopefuls looking for love and romance in post-war Brooklyn in this underrated MGM charmer, one of two lesser-known MGM musicals I'm covering this week in honor of TCM's 30th anniversary.


Worked on the computer a bit, then had dinner while watching Match Game '74. The year ended with the second and last appearance of magic-loving Juliet Mills and the only week for Philadelphia singer and TV director James Darren. At one point early in the proceedings, Jack Narz literally popped up from under Darren's desk to promote his word-based show Now You See It, which was also on CBS at that point. 

Finished the night after a shower listening to more of the records I've acquired recently. Bing, Bing, Bing! is apparently the second album by jazz group The Charlie Hunter Trio, from all the way back in 1995. I wonder if I heard this then. Some of it seems familiar. Hunter lends his guitar to bluesy compositions with nifty titles like "Greasy Granny" and "Wornell's Yorkies." I liked some of the slightly darker songs on the second disc, especially the title number and "Elbo Room."

I was feeling too upbeat after my fun ride earlier for moody ballads, so I ended with Sinatra and Swingin' Brass. Cheerfully uptempo numbers like "Goody Goody," "At Long Last Love," and "Pick Yourself Up" were way more enjoyable on a lovely evening. My favorites were a nice "I'm Beginning to See the Light" and the sweet "Love Is Just Around the Corner." 

No comments: