Saturday, March 15, 2008

Hoppin' On The Bunny Trail

First of all, I just finished posting this month's story at mine and Lauren's Monkees role play site. If you were disappointed with last month's relatively quiet party story, you'll be happy to know that this month's story ups the action and returns our favorite villains to the fold.

Second, I'm happy I got a lot done today. I hung out a bit this morning, watching The Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake and feeling like a kid again. Not only did I watch modern cartoons based after two of the 80s most popular franchises, but I saw commercials for My Little Ponies and Cabbage Patch Kids! (And, for some reason, a lot of sneakers.) Shame the Strawberry Shortcake Cereal is long-gone.

After Strawberry ended, I headed out for a quick run to the bank. On my way out, I heard some commotion at Veteran's Park next-door to me. Kids ages 2 to 8 and their parents and grandparents were gathered around three areas squared-off with pink tape. The squares were filled with hay and plastic Easter eggs. There was a table with a line of cellophane-covered, goodie-filled Easter baskets in the front of the park. I came just in time to see Oaklyn's Easter Egg Hunt! The three squares were for three age groups. As cute as the pre-schoolers and kindergardeners and first graders were, the second and third graders really took the cake...or the eggs. They almost literally threw themselves into the hunt, grabbing eggs and straw, kicking straw around, and making the funniest faces. The younger kids even got to greet the Easter Bunny, who also gave out prizes. (He was probably a parent in a costume, but it was a nice touch.)

I did finally make it to the bank after the kids finished and went over to the table for their baskets. I also made a quick stop at Family Dollar for Sweet n' Low (they didn't have any), WaWa for a drink, and at Doria's Deli (THEY had Sweet n' Low).

Work was busy and fairly painless, up-to and including a lovely, windless ride.

No comments: