Monday, March 03, 2008

The Tooth, and Nothing But the Tooth

I finally decided this morning I'd had enough. I've had a toothache for several days now. I think it's my gums from a hard-bristled toothbrush coupled with I haven't been able to afford a check-up since 2000. I called the nearest dentist's office and made an appointment for Friday morning. Now, I just have to call the union and find out exactly what my insurance covers. There shouldn't be any surgery; nothing's loose, though one tooth is chipped slightly. (I never got it fixed because it didn't hurt.) I didn't tell anyone on or offline I had a toothache because I didn't want anyone to worry...or tell me to go to a dentist and stop acting silly. I hate doing paperwork. I can never remember everything that needs to be written down. (That's why I haven't had an eye exam since 2000, either.)

I spent most of this gorgeous, 60-degree day at work. Work was on-and-off busy and fairly annoying, with lots of obnoxious beginning-of-the-month people. I also discovered why I have so many early days this week. Another woman who had to come in very early said many older employees who haven't gone on vacation yet are taking them before the cycle starts over again in May. (I, of course, take my vacation time in late July-early August so I can visit my best friend Lauren. When I lived in Wildwood, I took it during the week of my birthday in April.)

My tax return was waiting for me when I got home. Thank goodness. I don't have much in the bank after paying my rent; I'll deposit it tomorrow.

It was such a nice day, I decided to go for a quick walk to Family Dollar and get a few items I needed (including OralGel). I also stopped at WaWa and bought a pretzel. WaWa's pretzels are doughy and not very good, but at least they were easy on my teeth.

I watched Weekend at Bernie's while eating leftover mashed potatoes and meatloaf for dinner. Weekend at Bernie's is one of those goofy 80s comedies you would have never gone to see in the theater, but never missed when it was on cable. Two slightly goofy guys insurance workers discover a discrepancy in the account that's costing the firm millions of dollars and tell their boss, Bernie. Naturally, Bernie invites them to his fabulous beach house in the Hamptons to further discuss the matter. Turns out Bernie is not only behind the scam, but is a sleazy, skirt-chasing jerk with mob connections, and it's those "mob connections" who kill him before the guys arrive. Wanting to score with a hot local girl and not lose their vacations, the boys decide to act like Bernie never died...and most of the sloshed locals don't seem to notice much anyway. The mob's not thrilled, though...

Yes, it's all as silly and strange as that description sounds, but it's also a great deal of fun if you like your comedy very broad and your acting very over-the-top. Terry Kiser is great as the titular stiff, and Andrew McCarthy has a ball playing against type as the more party-hearty half of the two guys.

No comments: