Sunday, July 06, 2008

Sweet Summer Showers

I felt a few drops on my nose as I rode to work this morning, but it didn't get worse and I arrived dry. I called Mom this morning while listening to the WOGL "Brunch With the Beatles" show. (Ringo Starr, whose birthday is tomorrow, was in the spotlight). She says that the Southern New Jersey Shore has been having heavy rain showers off and on all weekend, including on the Fourth of July. She spent most of the weekend with her son and grandson and was just resting when I called.

Work was steady, not nearly as busy as the last few days or as it usually is on a Sunday afternoon. I guess everyone did their shopping earlier in the weekend or were at the Shore. Mom said, despite the gas crisis and the bad weather, the Shore was mega-crazy and the roads were all jammed. I spent an hour and a half after my break doing returns, which doesn't happen unless it's quiet and we have a lot of help.

I felt a big raindrop on my forehead as I left the Acme. There were huge, dark clouds on the horizon. I got home just in time. Less than ten minutes after I grabbed my now-dry towel and went inside, it started to pour. It's poured on and off for the rest of the night. I was going to go for a walk, but I didn't want to risk the rain, so I spent the rest of the evening making Skillet-Fried Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks and reading The Elusive Pimpernel instead. At least I got to ride my bike to work.

No comments: