Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Working Girl

Never judge a book by it's cover...or a work day by how busy it is in the first half-hour. It was so dead when I arrived at work around 10AM, one of the cashiers who was supposed to be there all day was allowed to go home because she didn't want to stand around and do nothing. Of course, a half hour later, we get busy and stay on-and-off busy for the rest of the day. Of course, we end up calling in more help because the cashier went home and we had call-outs. I stayed an extra hour until one of the teenage girls arrived.

The moral, ladies and gentlemen? Even if you don't seem to be busy at work, stand around anyway. You never know when things are going to change.

Customers were a pain, too. It's the end of the month, and we have lots of annoying people getting their monthly Social Security checks. As I predicted, we had more complaining about that stupid $4.99 Pepsi coupon, too. For heaven's sake, people, READ THE COUPON. The ads clearly say "$4.99 EACH." Don't just assume that three 24 packs of soda and water are going to be $4.99 all together. That's unrealistic.

I hate my job. I'm never going to get OUT of my job. The economy's so bad, and no one's going to hire someone who hasn't worked anywhere but a grocery store for six years. I'm so out-of-place here. I must be the only single, childless college graduate living alone, without pets or significant others, in the entire South Jersey area. I've never met anyone else who wasn't living with their parents or pets or lovers or wife or husband. No one knows what it's like to be lonely.

I went for a walk to CVS after work. I was originally going to clean, but I didn't really have the time when I finally got in. I dropped by Dad's house really quick on the way back. He gave me some steak and lobster leftover from his birthday dinner last night, and I got to wish him a happy birthday.

No comments: