Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Keeping Cool

Started out another unseasonably hot day with work. The Acme was the quietest I've seen in ages. It was dead, not even on-and-off this time. It was just beginning to pick up a little when my relief arrived (on time). I've been craving ice cream, and the Acme ice cream brand, Stone Ridge Creamery, just put out four new flavors created by Acme employees via a contest last fall. I ended up with the most interesting-looking of the four, Red Velvet Cake.

When I got home, I changed into a tank-top, shorts, and sandals, and went right back out again. I had a small package I wanted to send my best friend Lauren for Easter. The Oaklyn Post Office was air-conditioned, and more importantly, totally empty. That's the first time I've seen that place empty in ages!

I just hung out online for a while after I got in and did some online research. My best friend Lauren will be visiting here from May 30th to June 5th, and I wanted to find out when some places were open and get some ideas for something to do on Memorial Day. It'll be a lot easier to plan our vacation here than planning a trip in New England is, since there's a lot less driving and traveling involved. I'm hoping to spend three of our days together taking Lauren to all my favorite haunts. One will be spent in Haddonfield and the Deptford Mall, one in Atlantic City, and one taking in the sights of downtown Philadelphia.

I got bored around 5:30 and just went for a walk down Goff Avenue, over to West Clinton, and back up to Manor. Though it was still warm then, probably about 85, it was also very windy. The wind felt so nice and cool! There were lots of people out and about, also enjoying the nice day. A mother and father helped their little girl ride her bike for the first time. Kids played baseball and basketball on their front lawns and patios and rode their bikes across the empty Vending Machine Building lot on West Clinton.

By the way, I ended up with two cooling desserts tonight. That Jello mold salad I made yesterday just would not set properly, no matter how long I left it in the fridge. No matter. I poured half of it into a pan and slid the pan in the freezer for Lime-Coconut-Pineapple Ice. The other half became smoothies!

And that Stone Ridge Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream is to die for. It was the first-prize-winning idea...and I can understand why. It really tastes like red velvet cake, from the "red velvet" chocolate ice cream and vanilla swirls to the cream cheese icing swirls. The calories aren't too bad, but it's fairly fattening, probably due to the cream cheese, so this will be reserved for special occasions.

No comments: