Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Riding in the Rain

It was, indeed, raining hard when I got up this morning. I merely postponed my trip out to the Haddon Township Library until around quarter after 11. By that time, the rain had slowed to mere sprinkles, but it remained windy, chilly, and dark. Not surprisingly, the library was very busy. There was some kind of a local meeting in one room; I heard everyone talking as I organized the kids' DVDs. (And they needed it badly. Titles were totally on the wrong shelves or turned the wrong way. You'd think it had been a month since I was last there, instead of just a week!) There were plenty of adult DVDs and children's books to shelve, too.

Next, I decided to try Julia Cameron's suggested "Artist's Date" and take a look at JoAnn's. I hadn't been in there in a while. Mom used to do crafts with us a lot when we were kids, but I haven't been particuarly crafty as an adult. They had a whole line of inexpensive "Kids' Craft Camp" items, like paint pens and small wooden toys. I chose glitter fabric pens and a small wallet for a surprise for a friend. They also had the Wilton 2012 Cake Decorating Yearbook on clearance for about four dollars, far cheaper than its original thirteen!

Made a quick stop in Super Fresh. They didn't have the flaxseed meal I was looking for, so I moved on to Dollar Tree for sponges, a Mother's Day card, and another suncatcher. Went to the Bagel Shop for lunch. (My original thought for lunch was Simply Soups in Audubon, but I think they're still in the midst of moving down the block to their new, larger location.) I had a big veggie and cheese quesadila and fries for lunch. Too big - I didn't finish either. It was past 2 when I was working on my meal, and it was fairly quiet in the back of the Bagel Shop, just me and an older couple.

I rode straight over to the gym to get my session done there after lunch. I picked a really good time. The place was absolutely dead. There were only a few other women working on the treadmills. I did a good 20 minute ride on the stationary bike. Saw Joanne, one of my co-workers at the Acme, while doing the leg and knee weight machines, and said "hi."

The rain had long stopped by 4, when I finally got home, but the weather remained iffy. I went nowhere else today. Besides, I seriously needed to start my spring cleaning! I worked on the bathroom and dubbed the 1933 Little Women. Katherine Hepburn is Jo in one of the most famous versions of the beloved Louisa May Alcott story, but I was most impressed with a frail Jean Parker as Beth. She looked and sounded the part more than either Margaret O'Brian in the 1949 film or Claire Danes in '94.

I didn't get to making dinner until almost 7. Good thing I'd planned on a quick meal of pollack in lemon-wine sauce and steamed broccoli anyway. I ate dinner and made Lemon-Strawberry Pound Cake as I ran Grease 2.

No comments: