Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Windows On the World

Actually, I started out the day with taking the old mattress, box spring, and phone stand downstairs. I didn't remember how heavy those mattresses are! I haven't moved them in seven years. (And I had my relatives' help when I moved.) I'm glad there was a worker next door who offered to help out. I left them on the porch; I'll take them out to the trash tomorrow afternoon.

Next stop was the Oaklyn Library. I haven't volunteered there in a while. I just haven't had the chance. They're only open in the mornings and late in the evenings. There wasn't much to do, either. I mainly organized the DVDs. I was happy to see they had moved the new releases to a riser on the very top of the DVD shelves.

Made a quick stop at Rite Aid to see if they had something (they didn't), then rode over to the Haddon Township Library. There was a little bit more to do there. I organized the kids' DVDs, shelved adult titles, and put away the small pile of children's books on the cart. It was actually rather quiet. For one thing, I was there at lunch time. For another, their computers were completely down for upgrading.

I went to lunch at Wendy's. Grabbed a Grilled Chicken Sandwich and fries. Ugh. The fries were too salty. (Using sea salt doesn't mean you pour the whole container on.) The sandwich had pale bits of lettuce and one rubbery tomato. I think it's about time I took my mother's advice and stopped eating fast food all together. There's about five hundred other greasy spoons around here that make better food that's bad for you.

I was at home for the rest of the afternoon. I dubbed Stripes while I dusted and washed the windows and baked brownies. Stripes was yet another 80s comedy revolving around a group of misfits going up against some kind of authority...in this case, the military. John Winger (Bill Murray) couldn't be having a worse day. His car was impounded, he lost his job, and his girlfriend threw him out. He figures there's nothing left for him but to join the Army. He's joined by his best friend Russell (Harold Ramis) who isn't doing much better. Winger proceeds to get on the nerves of everyone in charge, from the head of their unit (John Larroquette) to their nasty drill sergeant Hulka (Warren Oates). He's more popular with the men in his unit, including John Candy, and with a pair of women military cops who keep rescuing them every time they leave the base.Winger finally gets the men in shape enough for graduation, but can he rescue them, Hulka, and the commander when they end up guarding a secret weapon behind enemy lines in East Germany?

If you're a fan of Murray or other semi-raunchy misfists-thumb-their-noses-at-society comedies from the 80s like Police Academy, you'll probably love this one. Despite the R rating, it's actually not that bad today. The worst we see is female mud wrestling (and the dirt covers anything really scandalous). The first half, where the unit is in basic training and Winger and Russell keep trying to get off base, is much funnier than the pumped-up second half in East Germany.

I had enough time before work to dub Little Drummer Boy Book II. This is one of the very few Rankin-Bass holiday-themed specials not yet on DVD. (Warners was supposed to put it out a few years ago, then didn't - I don't know what happened there.) Aaron, the title drummer boy from the original specials, helps out a kindly old bell maker who has created three great silver bells to announce the birth of baby Jesus. A group of Roman soldiers, lead by a nasty ham of a captain (Zero Mostel), get to the bells before Aaron can. Aaron does his best to distract the soldiers, so the bell maker and one of the Wise Men can rescue the bells. Aaron, however, must sacrifice his most precious object to do so...

A lovely story, based around "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and "I Heard the Bells On Christmas Day." Greer Garson once again narrates. If you're a fan of the original Drummer Boy and can find this one, it's very sweet.

I did manage to get into work on time tonight. It started showering a bit during Little Drummer Boy, but was ending even as I pulled into the Acme's parking lot. To my knowledge, it hasn't rained since. We were busy when I came in, quiet enough when I left to leave without a relief.

No comments: