Thursday, October 25, 2012

Another Two Weeks

Actually, I spent most of a gloomy, chilly day working on my inventories. I wanted to get the cassettes done today. I don't really have all that many left. As it turns out, I have a little over 50, nothing compared to the massive stacks of DVDs, CDs, and records I have. I'm trying to clear out videos and cassettes. For one thing, they're outdated. Cassettes have a nasty habit of getting caught in the machines, no matter how well you clean them, and their cases break and crack if  you touch them wrong. I've cleared all but five of my videos, and I intend to replace three of those by the end of the year.

Jodie picked me up for my appointment at the Foot & Ankle Center around 11:45...but I didn't see the doctor until over an hour later. As with Haddon Imaging yesterday, they were very busy at noon and had a lot going on. Plus, it would seem that they STILL haven't gotten the paperwork for my orthopedics, even though I got the bill claiming everything was paid last week!

When Dr. Berlin arrived, the verdict was pretty much the same as it was early in the month. It's healing, but still tender enough to require wearing that darn boot for another two weeks, after which she'll hopefully be able to switch me to a less heavy shoe. And I'll remain out of work and off the bike during that time.

I wasn't happy when Jodie got me home. I don't even have any money. I had to borrow the co-pay for the appointment from Jodie, and I felt horrible about it! The disability money should be showing up by tomorrow or the beginning of next week, but until then, I have nothing.

Put on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to cheer myself up during dinner. How strange is this cult fantasy musical from 1968? It's based after a book by Ian Fleming (yes, the creator of James Bond), with a script by Roald Dahl (who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, among others), and music by the Sherman Brothers, of Mary Poppins and Tom Sawyer fame. Chitty is a former race car who is rehabilitated by inventor Caratacus Potts (Dick Van Dyke) into an especially fantastic family vehicle. During a trip to the seaside with his children and his female friend Truly Scrumptious (Sally Ann Howes), he spins a fantastic tale about how they use a flying and floating Chitty to rescue Grandpa (Lionel Jeffries) from the terrible Baron and Baroness Bomburst of Vulgaria (Gert Frobe and Anna Quayle).

Pure, unadulterated lunacy with a dark core that surprises many folks. Yes, this is a musical that involves kids, flying cars, wacky inventions, and pretty girls with Bond names...but it also has a Child Catcher (Robert Helpmann) who still gives kids from the 60s and 70s nightmares and the Baron trying to more-or-less off his wife. Not to mention, at over two hours, it runs pretty long for a family movie, and the special effects haven't dated all that well.

Most kids probably won't notice, and the adult gags will likely go over their heads. If your crew enjoyed the somewhat similar Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and can handle some of the darker elements, this is highly recommended and an awful lot of fun.

No comments: