Sunday, October 14, 2012

Football With the Family

I slept so late, it was quarter of 11 before I finally got up, and nearly 11:30 before I was making Mulit-Grain Buttermilk Pancakes for breakfast and listening to the last of Brunch With the Beatles. They were celebrating their 11th anniversary with "Beatles outtakes," from different versions of familiar songs (earlier takes of "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Eight Days a Week," "Come Together") to songs that were cut or dropped from albums (including a catchy Ringo number originally intended for Help!, "If Ya Got Trouble," that's become a favorite of mine).

Called Mom as the show was ending. I knew she'd be busy, and indeed she was getting ready for the Eagles-Lions game. I really just wanted to touch base with her. I told her about Linda's generosity and my gifts, the trouble with Comcast and how it was solved, and what I've done around the apartment this week. Thankfully, the only phone call I should need to make anytime soon is to the Acme to see if my disability papers went through, and that will probably be tomorrow.

Dad picked me up at 12:30. I spent the next few hours at what's now his house, watching the Eagles-Lions game and getting my laundry done. I'd put off doing my laundry during the week, but the load had grown huge, and it couldn't be put off anymore. Jessa came in during the early third quarter. By the fourth, Jodie had come home from her job as a hostess at a local winery. Dad heated up the last of the pizza he and Jessa had last night for me and had a tuna salad sandwich for himself.

(If you're wondering "where's the party," I suspect that football parties are over. Uncle Ken was the partier. Dad's not really fond of holding parties, and there's still some problems within the family.)

Alas, the Eagles did rather badly. This was another penalty-filled game, though not as bad as last week's. They actually went into overtime before the Lions finally won, 26-23. 

Jessa drove me home shortly before the end of the fourth quarter. I spent the rest of the evening baking a simple marble cake and listening to Andy Williams records, to honor the late singer's passing a few weeks ago.

No comments: