Thursday, November 08, 2012

Trouble By the Foot

I was eating cereal for breakfast and watching the Very Merry Christmas Songs DVD when Rose called. Why didn't I call her yesterday about my financial situation? Had I gotten my money from Disability today? I didn't even have time to put my cereal in the kitchen before I went to check. Oh I had, all right...all $675 of it. They gave me not only what I got last week, but apparently back pay as well. I tried calling Disability twice in an hour to figure out what was going on, but I kept getting a busy signal. At any rate, I called Rose and told her about the change.

Jodie drove me to the Foot and Ankle Center this morning after making a quick stop to deposit the check from Mom at the bank. Thankfully, this time, I didn't have to wait for very long. I did have to sit for a while in the doctor's room, though. Dr. Berlin finally checked my foot long enough to say I no longer needed the darn boot. She gave me a prescription for a much smaller insert that could be put in my shoes. She also said the inserts for my heel spur orthopedics had finally been paid for and would be arriving in about two weeks. I'd be out until they arrived; after that, we'd talk and see if I could get back to work a little early.

Personally, I don't really care about the money. I'm just sick and tired of being stuck and having to live on everyone else's schedule. I can't go anywhere. I can't do anything. I can't even go to the grocery store or the laundromat without having to ask someone to drag me with them. I hate this. It's driving me completely nuts. You can't be independent if you have to rely on everyone else to do things you should be doing. I want to go grocery shopping on my time and do my laundry on my time. I know I sound ungrateful, but I've worked so hard to be self-sufficient, and I feel like I've lost that. 

I was really hoping to get to the grocery store today. I did get to Dad's and got my big load of laundry done. Between our recent bouts of nasty weather, my being sick last week, and everyone being busy, I haven't had the chance to get over there, and I had sheets to wash. I read my favorite book in the Bunnicula series, Howliday Inn, for a while. Jodie treated Dad and me to hoagies from one of the local delis. 

When I got home, I cut out coupons, then put away the laundry and went online for a little while. I finally made an omelet and a Romaine Salad for dinner while watching Thoroughly Modern Millie. Millie is a secretary in 1922 New York who trades in her old-fashioned look for the short hair and long beads of a flapper. She wants to marry her stoic boss (John Gavin), but is pursued by a cute paperclip salesman (James Fox) who may or may not be what he says he is. Meanwhile, her new rich friend Miss Dorothy (Mary Tyler Moore) is being chased by the owner of their boarding house (Beatrice Lille) who wants her for evil purposes. And then there's Muzzy (Carol Channing), the wacky millionairess who believes in enjoying the good life...and all the parties that come with it. 

Weird but adorable ode to the Roaring Twenties. Great costumes, too. I love how middle-class Millie realistically wears the same four or so dresses throughout the film with different cute accessories, while wealthy Miss Dorothy practically has a new gown in every shot. Love the running gag with the elevator, too. If nothing else, you'll get a rare glimpse of an over-the-top Carol Channing at the top of her game and one of Beatrice Lille's last performances. (And beware of some rather silly Asian stereotypes, both for good characters and villains.)

No comments: