Friday, November 02, 2012

Trying to Regain My Footing

I'm going to be honest, which I haven't in a few weeks. I have no money. I don't want to borrow more. I shouldn't have borrowed any in the first place. I was waiting for people to rescue me, and I shouldn't have been. I should have been working toward a goal myself, not relying on hand-outs. My bills are late. My rent is late. I need to make money as fast as I possibly can.

To that end, I checked out a few sites that publish articles quickly. Triond.com did put out a few that I already did, but I need more to start earning money from them. I can't even figure out Squidoo. I'll look into more sites and online magazines and websites that might hire beginners on Monday.

I'm having a hard time coming up with story ideas. Everyone keeps suggesting things to me, but nothing seems right. What do I know? I'm not an expert in anything in particular. All of my interests are dabbling. Just because I like to take photos of the dolls or watching musicals doesn't mean I'm an expert. You have to know about things to be able to write about them, and I just don't have enough experience.

My first thought was doing online surveys. The trouble is...most of those sites, even the legit ones, want to sell you something. I don't want to buy anything. I don't want anyone to sell anything to me. I can't afford it right now. I just need to earn enough money to pay my rent and my bills. That's all.

I continued running the Silver Spoons disc throughout the day to make me feel better. One of the things I've been noticing about this show is it's one of the few 80s shiny-happy-family sitcoms of my childhood I loved that dealt outright with divorce. Most either concerned relatively normal two-parent families (like The Cosby Show or Growing Pains), the parents were widowed (like Full House), or the kids were adopted (like Punky Brewster). Ricky's mom is a snob and doesn't seem to know much about kids (including her son and ex-husband), but she's not played as a bad person. Coming from a background with separated parents, I appreciate that.

I'm also wondering why on earth Derek (Justin Bateman) was even friends with Ricky. He does nothing but get the kid into trouble, and he's a rather obnoxious little thing. The show does acknowledge that his behavior wouldn't have been acceptable in 1983, much less now - he has such a hard time getting a date to a dance in one episode, he has to convince Ricky to dress as a girl because the real girls know to steer clear of him.

No comments: