Thursday, December 06, 2012

It's Not Easy

I slept in again, then watched the Angelina Ballerina DVD I took out of the library during and after breakfast. As you can guess from the title Superstar Sisters, this one concentrates on Angelina and Polly. My favorite episode had Angelina, Gracie, AZ, and Alice putting on a dance-pantomime of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. They run into a stumbling block when they realize Alice is really too big to be playing Baby Bear. Meanwhile, Polly is upset because she hasn't grown as much as her older sister and her friends. She wants to be a "big girl," too. Polly discovers that it's not so bad to be small when Angelina and her buddies turn to her for help.

Spent a few hours working on that application. I needed to find numbers and addresses for Richard Stockton College's Media Center and the Lower Cape May Regional Transportation Center. I had a summer job at my high school's transportation office as a secretary from June through August 1996. Another girl and I recorded and filed the mileage for every bus in the fleet, then made copies of every single sheet. It wasn't the most exciting job, but the girl who worked with me was nice, and I liked my supervisor, Mrs. Brown. There were also a couple of boys who were supposed to be cleaning the interiors of the buses. I don't know how much cleaning they actually did. Two buses were still so dirty by August, us girls ended up pitching in and cleaning them ourselves...and doing a much better job.

(And much to my surprise, Mrs. Brown still seems to be working as the secretary for the Transportation Department.)

When I finally finished everything, I gathered my application, grabbed the two cartoon DVDs I've already watched, and headed out. Stopped at the mailbox to see if I had anything. There were two notices from the Unemployment Department. Both pretty much said the same thing - you're in the midst of processing. You'll get your first payment on December 19th. The 19th! I was counting on that next week! I was so disappointed.

I felt a little better as I rode across Newton River Park to the library. Though it was sunny again, it was chillier and windier than yesterday. Accordingly, there were far fewer people there, just a few folks out for a walk or pushing a stroller, and one flock of Canadian geese having a late lunch. I was in and out of the Haddon Township Library. The librarians said they'd send the application in their inter-office mail that would go out tomorrow.

Went to Tuesday Morning next. I decided I'd get at least a few presents there. I couldn't find anything for my Secret Santa or a book for Skylar. I did find something for Jessa and for Collyn. Was tempted by the pink 'Mazin' Hamster and a few kitchen items, but I'll wait until after Christmas when I have money and see if I still want them.

My next stop was Komfort Kare. This didn't go nearly as well. I did end up having to pay for the ankle brace. It seems Independence Blue Cross starts its year over December 1st, along with my deductible  On one hand, that means the deductible for this year is more than half-fulfilled. On the other hand, it also means I could have gotten the darn thing for free if I'd gotten my rear end over there before November 30th.

I was frustrated and angry when I finally rode home. I've made such a mess out of things. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to send out the Disability papers, I would have gotten the doctors to sign them, and I'd have that money now, not in two weeks. If I'd gone to Komfort Kare the week after Thanksgiving, I could have saved money.

I swung over to Dad's house, hoping Jodie or Jessa would be in. I needed to talk to someone. Thankfully, Jodie was there, along with a neighbor, Andy. Jodie was preparing for a night of poker and snacks with some friends of hers. We had a nice, long chat as she made Pigs In a Blanket and a cheese and pepperoni tray for her guests.

While I do feel a little better about things (and about having sent in that application), I'm frustrated over the way I've acted about the Unemployment and Disability, not to mention not having done all this sooner. As she pointed out, humans are creatures of habit. It's not easy for people to make major changes, especially when it's thrown in your face all at once.

When I got home, I cheered myself up with a delicious Lentil Soup recipe from the same Cooking Light cookbook I used for the Tex-Mex Black Bean Dip. Ran A Disney Channel Christmas while enjoying lentil soup and the last of the cauliflower. Disney Channel Christmas is a blending of two earlier Wonderful World of Disney holiday specials with some additional material. My family taped it somewhere between 1986 and 1988, and we've watched it every holiday since. I copied it for myself and my sister and her son last year, and I was thrilled to have it again.

Here's the YouTube link. I'm especially fond of the two theme songs imported from the original Wonderful World specials, "From All of Us to All of You" and "On Christmas Morning."

Don't touch that dial! Here's an additional Christmas episode of Mickey's House of Mouse, featuring their hilarious interpretation of The Nutcracker

No comments: