Monday, December 31, 2012

Have a Very Shiny New Year

I closed 2012 far more amiably than I closed 2011. This time, I'd been scheduled to work on New Year's Eve, and I was fine with it. I had a pleasant walk around the neighborhood this morning. It was cloudy and chilly, but not abnormally so for the time of year. I strolled down the street and over the park behind the school, but there was no one around, not even a Canadian goose. Everyone was probably inside or out and about, getting ready for New Year's parties.

I had leftovers for lunch while watching more Faeirie Tale Theatre. "Puss n' Boots" is a retelling of the story of a clever cat who convinces a king and a princess that his impoverished master is a Marquis. Ben Vereen is Puss. Gregory Hines is his master. Alfre Woodard is the princess. Brock Peters is the evil ogre the cat has to outwit in order to gain a castle for his "Marquis." One of my favorite episodes; Vereen has a lot of fun as a feline.

"The Snow Queen" is a bit more magical. Lee Remick is the chilly title character, who takes a contrary young man (Lance Kerwin) to her icy home in order to teach him a lesson about friendship. His best friend Gerda (Melissa Gilbert) is determined to go after him. Adapted from a Hans Christian Anderson story, and considerably closer to the source material than the Disney version that's supposed to come out next year sounds like it will be. It's a little muddled - Remick, despite her title status, doesn't have much to do - but has some of the loveliest sets and costumes of the entire series.

Work was a total madhouse all day. If people weren't buying last-minute vegetable and fruit trays for their New Year's Eve parties, they were doing their beginning-of-the-month shopping. Despite the noise and the lines, the day went quickly. I was able to get a few things for my own New Year's Eve during my break, including heavy cream and sparkling pear juice for my traditional New Year's Eve Whipped Syllabub.

Ran two New Year's specials while making chicken stir-fry for a late dinner. Happy New Year, Charlie Brown has poor Chuck stuck doing a book report on War & Peace while the rest of the gang enjoys Peppermint Patty's New Year's Eve party. Rudolph's Shiny New Year is the first follow-up to the original Rankin-Bass Rudolph. Father Time sends Rudolph after the runaway Baby New Year, but he may not be able to get around Eon, the Terrible Monster Bird in time. If he can't bring the Baby New Year home by midnight on December 31st, time will stand still!

But in real life, time stands still for no one. I'd just finished with my WebKinz and was chatting with Lauren and sipping my Whipped Syllabub when I heard the first fireworks go off on the river. I enjoyed a glorious show of sparkling lights flying on the other side of the river. With the trees bare, I had a spectacular view. The huge wisps of red, green, and gold glitter were prettier than anything in Times Square...and a lot less hectic.

I hope all of you have a safe, happy, and healthy 2013. And as Rudolph said, "May it be shiny, too!" ; )

No comments: