Friday, December 07, 2012

An Old Fashioned Christmas

I was working on my journal in bed this morning when Mom called. First of all, she admitted that she couldn't find a rain coat for me. Ok, she's right about that. Rain coats are really more of a spring item. We'll save that idea for my birthday.

She suggested replacing my heavy black winter coat with something lighter as an alternate idea. I agree with that, too. Uncle Ken and Dolores gave that coat to me for Christmas in 2008. As much as I love it, she's right that it can be a pain. It's a beautiful coat, a London Fog, but it's about a size too big for me...and too big for everyone else. It's hard to move around in that coat. I tend to knock people and things over. I'd keep it for very cold days when a heavy coat is necessary, but normal winter weather in New Jersey doesn't really require something so thickly padded.

She also said she'd be willing to buy something for my Secret Santa recipient that I chose online and either send it to me to wrap myself, or just have it sent to her place. As much as I hate doing it (Christmas shopping should really be done offline - it's far more fun and meaningful that way), I really don't have the $30 to $50 that we're supposed to be spending on the Secret Santa. I told her I'd choose it and wrap it.

She was cool about the late arriving government money, but still pestered me about the apartment. "They'll throw you out! You've been late every month since July!" Yes, but I always paid, even when I had to borrow money. Andrew is a family friend...and he's not adverse to waiting or for me to pay him in small increments  As long as he gets it by the end of the month!

I'm beginning to agree with her about trying to get a hold of the Union regarding the schedule snafu at work, though. No one in the store is happy with the heavily cut hours. I tried calling the Union after I let her go, but I wasn't sure whom to ask for. I need to find my Union handbook, too. They keep telling me that they can't give me more hours because I'm "restricted." By what, an hour? I can work anywhere from 7AM to 10PM. I'm far from the only person who is "restricted," too. The college kids have classes to consider; parents and guardians have children to work around. Half the store is "restricted!"

I ignored the last of the rain that had been running all morning and headed out to the Acme as soon as I finished breakfast. I needed to pick up my paycheck and pick up a very small grocery order. I needed bananas, apples, wraps, and canned tomatoes. Blackberries were on a really cheap sale; they'll make great Flummery. I found a small container of shrimp for lunch. Much to my surprise, the dollar strawberry fruit spread was both cheaper and better for you than many of the brand names that cost twice as much. (I didn't buy them today, but there's fruit in glass jars in the dollar section that may also come in handy this winter.)

When I got in, I ran Sabrina. This is the original 1954 version of the tale of the young lady of the title (Audrey Hepburn) who returns to Long Island from a Paris cooking school having learned far more in the art of sophistication. Her new-found glamour turns the heads of both David (William Holden) and Linus Larrabee (Humphrey Bogart). She's had a crush on David from afar for years, but it wasn't until she came back from Paris that he noticed her. Linus, meanwhile, is the workaholic head of the family business who is trying to maneuver his brother into a marriage with the daughter of a businessman he wants to merge with. Sabrina thinks she's still in love with David, but when Linus starts taking her out to try to get her away from his brother, she has an unexpected change of heart.

Very sweet and romantic. Humphrey Bogart is really miscast as Linus; Harrison Ford was far more suited to this role in the 1995 remake. On the other hand, Audrey Hepburn shines in every frame she's in. In fact, Sabrina has a similar problem to My Fair Lady; she's no more convincing as a dowdy Long Island chauffeur's daughter whom no one notices than she is as a Cockney flower seller. Once she comes back from Paris, she's in far more accustomed territory. William Holden is also excellent as the playboy who learns a lesson in responsibility.

I came up with an idea at work tonight. I'm tired of being depressed and frustrated because my finances won't allow me to have a merry Christmas. I can't do anything - see my family, get together with one of my best friends, go into Philadelphia, buy gifts, really take part in the Secret Santa. Mom wants to end Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve at her house. She's tired of everyone only being able to come for one day and doing everything herself. The trouble is, first of all, like Amanda, she's afraid to drive up here, especially at night. Second, neither Rose nor Anny nor I have homes or kitchens large enough for parties.

You know what? I thought as I hung plastic bags on the bag holders. Forget this. I'm celebrating Christmas my way.

What I'd really like to do is have Christmas Eve at my apartment. Rose is already doing Christmas morning at hers. I'd invite Rose and her boys, Dad, and Jodie over here for a few hours of cookies, cake, maybe a platter of lunchmeats and rolls from the Dorias (I'll bet they'd give me a great price). I have lots of movies and music. It would be BYOL (bring your own liquor) of course, because I don't drink and can't afford fancy spirits. If I can make five different kinds of cookies, I can make cookies and a cake for six people. If Mom, Dad-Bill, and Anny and her boys want to come, fine. If not, that's on them.

I'll talk to Rose. I don't know if I'll be able to pull this off this year, but it's definitely something to keep in mind for next year.

Second, I can still do my baking. That's probably cheaper than buying most gifts, anyway. I already have many ingredients. There's only a few things I need. I'll split the cupcakes between a few people. Jodie will get her pudding pie and my neighbors will get bread, like always. I also have Christmas cards from last year; I just need to get stamps. Some folks will get hand-crocheted things. Isn't that what Christmas is all about, anyway? I'd rather give from the heart than from a wallet that can't handle it.

This week's schedule lifted my spirits even further. I have 24 hours this week, far more than I have for the last two weeks. Seems the boss finally got fed up with doing it on his own and asked for two other (female) managers to help out. Thankfully, I was one of the people done by the female managers.

(Oh, and at press time, it's pouring like mad out there. I think it's supposed to rain all weekend. Has been raining since at least a half-hour after I got in from work.)

No comments: