Wednesday, December 24, 2008

"What A Wondrous Sight Is Christmas Eve..."

I ran The Monkees' only Christmas episode this morning as I got ready for work. In this mid-second-season tale, appropriately titled "The Christmas Show," the Monkees find themselves babysitting for an obnoxious rich child who grouchily refuses to accept them or the idea of Christmas spirit. The boys do everything they can with their meager money supply, from buying a tree to going shopping, to appease the child, but nothing works until they realize what he REALLY wants for Christmas. There's some hilarious moments here. Micky and Davy on and in front of the chimney is adorable.

I went to work after How the Grinch Stole Christmas ended and I dropped three cupcakes on Miss Ellie's front stoop (her car wasn't in the driveway). Work was insane, no great surprise given today is the last day before Christmas. There were no major problems other than some mildly obnoxious customers and I was late getting out. The Acme closed at 6 today, and since I got off at 3, I had no relief and a long line. The only way I could give my Secret Santa present to my co-worker Sara, a college student back for the Christmas holidays, was to go through her line. No big deal. I needed milk and brown sugar anyway, and her line wasn't too long.

I spent some more quiet time to myself after I finally got home. I watched A Garfield Christmas Special and the two Peanuts Christmas specials and colored in the "Elmo's Christmas" coloring book I bought about two or three years ago because it was just so darn cute. (You can tell how old it is - lots of Elmo and Zoe, but no Abby Cadabba. I colored a picture of Zoe putting together a wreath made of dyed pasta and an unusually happy Oscar the Grouch in his trash can decorated with junk.)

The weather had been cloudy, damp, and humid all day. It rained while I was in work, but was fine when I was going to and from work. It had just started sprinkling again as I stepped out to Jodie's party. I went back for my umbrella, then made my first stop. No one answered the door at my neighbors' house, so I left their cranberry bread and card on the door.

I love the light displays in my neighborhood. They range from the insane Clark Grizwald-like show across the street from my apartment to elegant multi-colored "Icicle" lights hanging off roofs that make them look like gingerbread houses. I spotted a blow-up Rudolph at one house, a Frosty at another. I really appreciate the festive atmosphere in Oaklyn during Halloween and Christmas. The citizens of Wildwood never really got into any holiday that wasn't during the summer. My neighbors in Wildwood were mostly Hispanics who could neither afford nor believed in the tinsel, lights, and big trees. The only light displays were on the few stores left open and a couple of houses and condos with people visiting over the holidays.

By the time the rain started to pick up, I was a block from Jodie's house. The only people at the party when I arrived were Jodie and her relatives. Dad had gone to pick up our cousins Karen and Jim, who had just gotten in from visiting their relatives in Minnesota, from the Philadelphia International Airport. I ate salad, macaroni salad, a meatball sandwich, and pretzels while chatting with various people. Dad finally arrived with Jessa, Mark, Vanessa, and Brittany about a half-hour later, and Rose and Craig showed up from Cape May County with wine for Jodie and Dad and presents for me.

I stayed there for another hour or so, chatting with everyone. Rose, Craig, and Dad escaped back to Dad and Uncle Ken's house to say "hi" to Uncle Ken and Dolores. Uncle Ken apparently isn't feeling well again. I joined them after talking with Jessa, Brittany, and Vanessa. Dad was telling stories of his involvement in the Vietnam War to Rose and Craig when I got in. Rose and Craig drove me home. I said "hi" to Uncle Ken and Dolores...and THEY gave me a beautiful new heavy winter coat, a great big black coat with a fur-trimmed hood. It's a good one, too, a London Fog. It even came in a really cool felt "Santa Sack."

I'm home now, chatting with Lauren while listening to the Christmas blues CD I bought from the Big Lots in North Cape May about four years ago. For all of you who'll be spending tomorrow with your own families and won't get online, I wish you the merriest of Christmases and the safest and happiest of holiday seasons!

No comments: