Saturday, December 20, 2008

Must Be Santa

First of all, I finally posted this month's Monkees role play and several holiday-related short stories. Lauren and I really finished them over two weeks ago, but I've been so busy, I haven't really had the chance to edit them until now. Enjoy!

Second, after a quick walk to the bank to drop off my paycheck (and give the rest of my rent to Miss Ellie), I spent most of the day at work. The Acme was so busy from my arrival at 11 until a little after 4, there were lines out to the aisles. We kept having to call stock workers and bakery people to help bag and handle the registers up front! Even with all the commotion, except for one grouchy lady who fussed when I asked her if she had anything under the cart, the customers were fine. I don't understand why she wanted me to look under the card. How hard is it to say "Yes, I do" and "No, I don't?"

Nicole, one of the recent teenage baggers who just switched to cashiering, gave me my Secret Santa gift. She gave me the cutest little purple fairy figure, with pretty wings and a hopeful smile. She's a very sweet girl. I put the fairy with my porcelain doll collection.

Nicole wasn't the only one giving out presents today. "Santa Claus" was walking around the store this afternoon, ringing a bell and giving away candy canes to all the kids. I have no idea who he was - someone told us, and I couldn't hear who they said it was. (My guess would be Mr. Wolf, the assistant manager who wears glasses and is Santa-ly round.)

I received a nice compliment from one of the stock workers who helped me back, the one who tried to fix my glasses when they broke last summer. He was impressed with how I handled the major crowds we had today. That was nothing! He's never been in the Acmes in North Cape May and Wildwood during the height of summer. You learn pretty quickly how to deal with mobs of people then.

I did the Pumpkin Bread for my sister Anny and her boyfriend Mike after getting home from work tonight. It came out quite nicely and smelled divine. I'll do the Cranberry Bread for my neighbors tomorrow.

Oh, and I'm really glad I've finished my mall shopping. Most of my customers said the malls were packed elbow-to-elbow today, and parking spaces were so hard to find, people were following other cars in search of a space! That's why I always try to do mine fairly early.

No comments: