Sunday, December 28, 2008

Fly Like An Eagle

It was a lovely, quiet morning here at home, my first morning at home in months. I usually work early on Sundays, but today, I didn't go in until 2PM. I listened to the Beatles show in full ("The Beatles' #1 Hits" was the theme today), read Flight of the Silver Turtle, and tried to get my computer working. I've had trouble with my computer for at least a month or more now. It picked up an annoying virus, I believe from one of the Yahoo!Groups. It's been running very, very slow, and a popup appears when the desktop first turns up, selling spyware (which would probably just add another virus if purchased). I tried running Avast!, which a friend recommended, but it didn't pick anything up. I'll run it again tomorrow after Yogawood and maybe see if I can find some other programs for slow computers. I also put my Christmas presents away and hung the last of my Christmas cards.

Work was mostly very slow...except for one annoying and frustrating incident about mid-way through my shift. A group of women wanted to pay for half their order. First of all, they made a big fuss over each of them paying EXACTLY half the order. I had to call for a calculator to get that right! (And no, we don't have calculators at the register.) One woman tried to get money back, but because she put her card through first, the computer read it as adding more money onto the order. She ended up paying for twenty dollars more than she wanted to! She threw a fit when we tried to explain that instead of getting money back, she'd just added more onto her part of the payment. She should have gone last if she wanted extra money back.

I'm still a little frustrated. Why do people have to be so obnoxious? I was on my way to my break, and they heard the manager say that! I finally just left and went on my break, before I smacked those selfish, stupid women silly. Jade, the manager who got stuck handling them, told me later that she finally took the till in the back room to count it. Even then, the woman who had tried to get the money back pushed her way over to the main office to try to get her 20 bucks. Customers are NOT allowed past the manager's podium! Jade said everything came out fine and the woman just made a mistake...not that the woman accepted that. I really wish these city people would learn to leave their rude attitudes at home...and learn how to LISTEN.

I was still angry when I got off. (Good thing my relief showed up early.) By the time work was done, the wind that had plagued Camden County all morning had vanished, leaving nothing spring-like temperatures and clouds. I sped home in record time, taking all my anger out on my bike. I dropped my bike with my other one next to the porch steps and headed over to Uncle Ken's.

I found out why the Acme was so dead when I saw the score of the Eagles-Cowboys game. The Eagles flattened the faltering Cowpokes, 44-6. Not only that, but they made the playoffs, thanks to the Houston Texans beating the Chicago Bears and the Oakland Raiders' underdog defeat of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Dad's happy, too. After going 1-15 last year, the Miami Dolphins beat the New York Jets and not only won the AFC East, but also made the playoffs. (Not bad for a team Dad called "embarrassingly high school" back in September.)

Mom was also quite happy when I finally called her after the game. She and Keefe were playing Parcheesi, and she was trying to get around one of his many blockades. (He always sets up 800 blockades during the course of the game, letting everyone build up behind them...and getting killed when he has to move them and everyone comes after him.) Poor Keefe's now added a bad (but not itchy) rash and nausea to his sore throat and headache. Mom apparently took him to the hospital, and they said it was part of the bug and not chicken pox (which I could have sworn he had - I know the girls and I had it). My stepfather was watching football and was NOT a happy camper. The Giants lost to the Minnesota Vikings (who just won the NFC North and are on their way to playing us in the playoffs).

No comments: