Tuesday, December 16, 2008

There's Snow Place Like Home for the Holidays

Actually, more like sleet and rain, but it didn't sound as good in the title. Anyway, it did snow a little today while I was at work. It mostly sleeted and rained, though. I think it's raining now. It doesn't sound like sleet.

Other than the odd weather, not a whole lot happened today...although today generally went better than yesterday did. I started the morning after breakfast with this week's laundry session. I had a little trouble getting Uncle Ken's TV working (he has so many remote controls, I get confused as to which one goes to which device), and by the time I finally did, it was time to put the laundry in the dryer. I returned the Christmas books I took out a couple of weeks ago to the Oaklyn Library, then went back to Uncle Ken's house and watched The Backyardigans. I've only seen a few minutes of "The Swamp Monster" before. Uniqua and Pablo are tour guides eager to show off their boat and their swamp home. They lure a skeptical Tasha and Austin with the promise of a "Swamp Monster" lurking beneath the surface of the murky water...and get quite a shock when they discover just what IS under the swamp!

It started sleeting while The Backyardigans were on. I walked the short way home, managing to get up my steps despite the ice gathering on them. The rest of the time before work was spent editing this month's Monkees role play and a few random holiday stories we've written in the past week and eating a quick lunch. (Look for the main story in the next few days!)

Work was steady to busy, with some annoying people but nothing like last night. And it looks like we're getting more help for the holidays. Three new baggers started tonight, and Sue, the head of the cashiers, was training four new cashiers this evening. Riding home from work wasn't as fun. It was raining lightly when I arrived at work, and had sleeted and snowed on and off for the rest of the evening. It was sleeting lightly when I rode home. The sleet and snow isn't sticking to the ground (it's still too warm), but it IS sticking to my porch and steps. It took me forever just to get upstairs.

Oh, and I called Mom this morning to wish her and Daddy a happy 24th anniversary! Mom was home. Daddy wasn't; he was out fishing. Mom was on her way to doing the laundry and in a very good mood (understandable - she just became a grandmother again last week). She, Anny, and Skylar were going to see my brother Keefe play the drums in Lower Cape May Regional High School's Christmas Concert. He's a really good drummer who's won awards for his work. Anny's boyfriend Mike is taking care of the new baby Colin while they're out.

No comments: