Sunday, January 20, 2013

Football Surprises

I slept in, as I always do on Sundays. It was nearly 11 before I finally started my Banana-Honey Pancakes. This week's Brunch With the Beatles focused on songs that were released on or around January. These included "She Loves You," "Oh Yeah," "Penny Lane," "In My Life," "A Day In the Life," the Yellow Submarine soundtrack, and "Magical Mystery Tour." (And my pancakes came out a little odd and wouldn't cook right. I didn't realize until I was eating them that I forgot the egg and oil! Oops. That's what I get for being in a hurry.)

 Called Mom while I was having my pancakes. She had Anny and Skylar there, so she couldn't talk long, but we did touch base on a few things. I told her about my counseling appointment going well last week and getting all those much-needed extra hours. She told me she, Dad, and my brother's girlfriend Vicki drove down to South Carolina to see Keefe graduate. They all saw his graduation (what they could see of it in the heavy fog that blanketed them, too), then Keefe and Vicki spent some time on their own. Mom and Dad spent three hours at the Charleston Museum. (Mom said they could have spent far more time there if they'd had it.) They explored a World War II battleship and a submarine and enjoyed it.

I spent a little while doing the dishes and listening to CDs before finally heading over to Dad's house to do the laundry. It was still a bit early for the championship games, so I walked to CVS during the pre-show. It was a gorgeous day for a walk. There were more clouds and it was windier, but the sky was still that rich shade of blue. It was also much warmer than yesterday, probably in the upper 40s-lower 50s. I barely needed my new green coat as I strolled down to the White Horse Pike.

I didn't have much luck at CVS. They were out of the contact lens solution I wanted. I'll get it at Rite Aid on Tuesday. I did get brush picks for between my teeth.

Spent the rest of the afternoon crocheting and watching the game with Dad and Jodie. I made a ham, lettuce, and provolone sandwich for lunch; we shared a container of shrimp from the Acme for a snack. Dad and Jodie wanted the 49ers to win; they insisted that they would be able to handle the Patriots better. I didn't really care if the Falcons or the Niners won. The Falcons kicked rear ends all season; the 49ers worked hard to get to the playoffs. They're both good teams who deserved their success.

As it turned out, Dad and Jodie got their wish. The Falcons were ahead for most of the game, but the 49ers came back during the second half. They finally got past the Falcons 28-24 to go to the Super Bowl for the first time since 1994.

I went home around 6. My laundry was long done. I didn't really have a big load, anyway. I put on the radio while eating leftover chicken soup for dinner, then while I was in the shower. No one wanted the New England Patriots to make yet another trip to the Super Bowl. They must have gone at least three or four times in the past five years alone! Not to mention, one of the Baltimore Ravens is from Audubon.

Dad was certain that the Ravens would never get past the Patriots' vaunted offense...but it just goes to show that you never know what the score will be until the game is over. The Patriots were winning during the first half, but then the Ravens picked up steam near half-time and never stopped rolling. They finally steamrolled over the Pats 28-13.

No comments: