Sunday, January 27, 2013

Magical Snow Tour

I woke up at 10; spent the better part of the next hour writing in my journal and reading The Crystal Ball. I didn't get to making Apple-Lemon Spice Pancakes until past 11. The theme on Brunch With the Beatles today was the Beatles infamous 1967 TV movie Magical Mystery Tour. Like the Monkees' Head, it's considered too weird for words today, but it did produce an awesome soundtrack, including "Baby You're a Rich Man," "Your Mother Should Know," "Blue Jay Way," "Penny Lane," "All You Need Is Love," "I Am the Walrus," and "Strawberry Fields Forever."

I called Mom while the Beatles were on. She had Skylar and Anny there; could she call me back? Sure. I cleaned up from breakfast, crocheted for a while, and then mucked around online. I was going to write, but once again, I kept getting distracted. I don't know what's wrong with me. I had no problems writing when I was off in November.

Mom called as I was giving up for the day. We didn't talk for very long. I told her that I did get the paper to sign for the package with my birth certificate. Everything's been quiet in her neck of the woods, apparently even more than mine. They did get the same snow we did, but it was already vanishing, even as we talked.

I went for a long walk shortly after I got off with Mom. I like to walk in the park on Sundays when I'm off, the weather's nice, and there's no football games going on. It was a beautiful day for it, too. It was still cold, but a little warmer than it has been, once again in the lower 30s. There was no wind, and the sun felt nice on my back.

By the time I got out around quarter after 3, the snow was almost entirely gone from areas that are directly in sunlight. It lingered in shady places, and I still had to dodge a little ice. I cheerfully waved to two kids riding scooters and walking a cute, fluffy little dog in a sweater. I jumped back as a truck got stuck trying to turn around; it did finally get out of the parking lot, allowing me to take the back entrance into the park.

I felt like I'd walked into another world. The river was frozen solid and covered with snow. I could see places where kids had drawn on it with sticks and even made snow angels! The dirt path in the back was still covered in snow, though it wasn't icy. I could see that this wasn't true of the whole park; the path on the other side of the river, across from Collingswood High School, was almost completely snow-less.

I kept going down to the stone steps, then went back up to Oaklyn. Strolled around the back roads until I found myself back at the White Horse Pike, across from Dunkin' Donuts. I went a block down to WaWa for hot chocolate (theirs is cheaper) and two small York Peppermint Patties, then headed home. As in the park, there wasn't too much snow left in the neighborhood; most of it was on the few untreated sidewalks, like the one going over the train tracks.

Spent the rest of a quiet evening at home making leftovers for dinner and listening to records and CDs. Watching From Disney With Love last night inspired me to pull out the Captain & Tenielle Greatest Hits LP that features the theme song from that special, "Disney Girls." I always assumed it was written for the special. Far from it; seems it was a hit ballad for them in the mid-70s. I also ran the Johnny Mathis LP The Wonderful World of Make Believe, one of my Disney music CDs, and the original cast CD for Wicked.

No comments: