Saturday, April 13, 2013

Into the Wilds of Audubon

After the monsoon yesterday, I was just happy to see the sun shining when I got up this morning. I wrote in my journal, ready Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and listened to this week's American Top 40. I would have been just barely 3 years old when this episode was first run, and many of these songs were very much a part of my childhood. Songs on the countdown in mid-April that year included "Freeze Frame" by the J. Gelis Band, "Key Largo" by Bertie Higgins, "We Got the Beat" by the Go-Gos, "'65 Love Affair" by Paul Davis, "Do You Believe In Love" by Huey Lewis & the News (their first Top 40 hit), "That Girl" by Stevie Wonder, "Make a Move On Me" by Olivia Newton-John, and "100 Ways" by Quincy Jones with James Ingram on vocals.

That weeks' top song - and the top song for the previous five weeks - is one of my favorite hits from this era. My sisters and I used to belt "I Love Rock and Roll" everywhere we could, and for once, Mom joined in. She loved tough Joan Jett as much as we did.

I headed out as soon as the Top 40 ended. Today was Audubon's spring Town-Wide Yard Sale, and I didn't want to miss it. Unlike last year, I hit on some pretty sweet finds between quarter after 9 and quarter after 12. I eventually came up with five DVDs. Found Bell, Book, and Candle, Romance on the High Seas (Doris Day's first movie), the Spencer Tracy/Elizabeth Taylor Father of the Bride, and One Crazy Summer with John Cusack at my very first stop, a large yard sale with several boxes of DVDs and videos. One Crazy Summer was still in its plastic! Dug An American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler up at a small yard sale later in the morning. I also found a bag of holographic cardboard butterflies to put on my windows for spring.

Of the four books I bought, two, a small chilled desserts cookbook and a vintage Lady and the Tramp children's book (the one with Lady holding a frilly pink parasol in her mouth on the cover - we had that as kids) , ended up being freebies. I found the 2005 Christmas With Southern Living and the 1974 Wilton Cake Decorating Annual at a large multi-family sale; the owner said her aunt had been a fine baker. They had a lot of the big Wilton cake pans, but not only do I not have the room for them, but I seldom make cakes that size.

I also discovered a video copy of Yogi's First Christmas here. It's available at the Warner Archive, but this is infinitely cheaper.

The most expensive items ended up being two of the three records - the first two were three dollars each:

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - I Love Rock and Roll (Rather ironic, considering it was on the Top 40 this morning)

Journey - Escape

The Who - Live at Leeds 

The two CDs came from a yard sale on Merchant Street:

Bette Midler - Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook

Bernadette Peters - Sondheim, Etc. (live concert recording)

My favorite find of the day was at the first stop where I picked up those four DVDs. I saw a flash of bright yellow and a pair of familiar flower-shaped feelers in a plastic bag filled with ancient stuffed animals. I knew those feelers. I jumped over to the bag and tugged out Butterbear, one of the Wuzzles! The Wuzzles was a Disney animated show from the mid-80s about a group of creatures that were a mix of two different animals. Rose had Butterbear (bear/butterfly) when we were little. I had my favorite characters, Hoppo (hippo/rabbit with wings for some reason) and Bumblelion (lion/bee). Anny had sweet little Moosel (moose/seal).

I hadn't seen any of them in over 15 years. The Butterbear I found wasn't in great shape. She was faded, she was dirty, there was a small hole behind her left wing, and she was missing paint on her eye and on her feelers. I'll toss her in the wash, then see what I can do for the rest.

I ended up in the neighborhood behind the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center. Since I was there anyway, I thought I'd eat lunch there. I made a brief peek at America's Best to see if they had my contacts, but the line was so long, I just moved on.

Finally had lunch at Sonic's. I'm so glad they reopened a few months ago. I missed eating outdoors. I found a sunny spot in the back of the patio and ordered a grilled chicken sandwich, cherry limeade, and those tasty onion rings. The chicken sandwich was on an odd rectangle-shaped patty and was only ok. The onion rings were even bigger than usual, and just as good. And I've always loved that cherry limeade. It may be my favorite thing on the menu.

Went home after lunch. I hung around on the computer for a little while as I listened to the Bernadette Peters CD, then headed off to work. Work was busy during rush hour, mildly steady during the rest of the night. Though there were some stray clouds this morning, by 3PM, it was 65 and sunny as could be, perfect weather for April in New Jersey. There were really no major problems and plenty of help. I picked up corn meal, whole-wheat wraps, and more of the Oatmeal Squares on sale during break, allowing me to head out quickly with no major problems.

No comments: