Monday, April 21, 2014

A Dino-Riffic Birthday Party

Started out today with an early work shift. In contrast to the past few weeks, it was dead almost the entire day. I spent a lot of the morning standing around or shelving candy. It did pick up a bit around 2-2:30, but by that time, I was almost done. My relief was on time, and I was able to get home quickly.

Good thing, too. As soon as I changed and grabbed Khai's birthday present, I called Dad and Jodie. We were going to Craig's parents' house in Haddonfield for my nephew Khai's birthday party. The weather couldn't have been nicer. It was chilly when I went to work this morning, but by the time we were driving across Cuthbert, it was nearly 70, windless, and sunny as can be.

Khai was so excited, and I couldn't blame him. Craig's parents, brother, and girlfriend went all-out for his party. Given Khai's current obsession with dinosaurs, it went without saying that his party had a prehistoric theme. Craig's brother's girlfriend is a professional baker who made a huge volcano cake, with "lava" icing flowing down the sides, and an edible T-Rex that was crafted from fondant and Rice Krispie Treats spread over a wire form. There were also two smaller cakes, one a chocolate "tar pit" with a dinosaur on top, and a vanilla ring topped with blueberries and whipped cream. Craig's parents' house was decorated with vines, flowers, and green-and-orange balloons to give it that prehistoric jungle feel.

There was tons of food, too. Craig's mom made a ham wrapped in a sweet sugar glaze, roasted potatoes, green beans and tomatoes in white sauce, and croissants for dinner, along with Jodie's salad leftover from yesterday. There was a cheese and cracker tray, a vegetable tray, and bowls of "wet" almonds. Tiny containers of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream (I had Cherry Garcia) went with the cake.

Khai was spoiled silly. Craig's parents gave him another remote-control dinosaur (a Brachiosaur, according to Khai). Dad and Jodie gave him new bathing suits and his first bottle of cologne (in a Spider Man-themed bottle). I gave him the National Geographic Dinosaurs and Thomas the Tank Engine counting books. There were piles of games and puzzles. Keith and Jessie, Craig's brother and his girlfriend, gave Khai a huge non-spill container to hold long bubble wands and lots of bubble liquid. Jessa and her boyfriend Joe brought out a real US Post Office visor and a toy Post Office truck. (Joe is a mailman.) Friends of Khai's gave him Super Soaker water guns and water balloons.

Khai and his friend Emmy loved those water guns. They spent the rest of the evening playing with them. They chased poor Rose and soaked her. I was lucky Khai had opened his new dinosaur umbrella to show it off earlier and forgot to close it. I was able to use it to fend off the kids and their water. Unlike Khai, I didn't have a change of clothes there! The bubbles were a big hit, too. The kids and I blew lots of glassy bubbles and hurried after them. Craig and Keith tried to teach them how to toss a basketball into both the kids' and adult-sized basketball nets. Rose filled the water balloons, and she, Craig, Keith, and Jessie had a water balloon war. Jessie was even throwing balloons out upstairs windows at one point!

Oh, and I even got presents. Jessa and Joe gave me my birthday presents - a pair of vintage Mickey and Minnie stuffed dolls. They're long and thin and have heavy feet and embroidered pie-eyes - Minnie has her flowered hat. I think they're supposed to be recreations of 30s toys, though I'm guessing they're probably from the 80s or 90s. Jessa said she got them at a yard sale - great find!

No comments: