Sunday, April 13, 2014

Let It Be Sunny

It was still beautiful and warm when I woke up this morning. This week's Brunch With the Beatles covered the Beatles in 1970 and 1971. This being the time of the Beatles' break-up, the only group releases were "Let It Be" and "The Long and Winding Road" (along with the odd "You Know My Name, Look Up the Number"). Solo efforts included "It Don't Come Easy" from Ringo, "Uncle Albert" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul, "Instant Kharma," "Power to the People," and "Jealous Guy" by John, and "What Is Life?" and "My Sweet Lord" by George.

I called Mom after I finished my Banana and Pineapple Pancakes. Mom was a bit harried - she was trying to get work done in her yard. She wished me a happy birthday, and I told her I cashed her check, and about my plans for tomorrow. We discussed my brother's visit (he spent most of it either with his old friends, his dad, or playing with his nephews), her starting her new job at the Ferry in a few weeks, and about how we can both relate to customers driving us crazy (and I shouldn't let it bother me so much). She also gave me a great idea for Rose's birthday present, which I still hadn't gotten around to getting. Rose is so hard to shop for!

After I got off with Mom, I finished my pancakes and headed out to do the laundry. I don't usually do chores on Sundays, but I didn't want to do my laundry tomorrow or wait until Friday. It wasn't that busy, mostly with college students and working mothers who can't do the laundry any other day. I read The Three Musketeers and listened to Action News and the NBA game between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Indiana Pacers (which Indiana apparently won, 102-97).

When I got home, I ran some birthday-themed programming while putting my clothes away and quickly eating leftover soup for lunch. Ruby's hoping for a surprise party from her friends in "Surprise Ruby," but it turns into a real surprise when Max makes her follow him with her beloved birthday tiara. "Ruby's Birthday Party" with all her friends is a lot of fun...but Max would rather eat cake than play games. Max wants to use the paper from "Ruby's Birthday Present," but Ruby would rather keep them for her scrapbook. Max finds an even better use for it.

Mickey Mouse had just as much fun at his first of three birthday parties in 1931. "The Birthday Party" is a basic "everyone sings and dances" black and white short that does feature Mickey's fun with a xylophone and his and Minnie's charming duet to "I Can't Give You Anything But Love."

It was a lovely day to ride to work, windy but still very warm, probably in the mid to upper 70s. Despite the nice day, we were very busy for most of the afternoon. It didn't really slow down until almost a half-hour before I finished. I was in and out with no problems.

No comments: