Sunday, October 26, 2014

Battle of the Birds

Started a gorgeous, sunny, windy morning with Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes for breakfast while listening to Witchcraft...! I found this 50s LP at a yard sale about two or three years ago. It's an instrumental collection of magic, witch, and supernatural-themed standards - "Old Devil Moon," "In the Still of the Night," the title song. It makes great background music in the fall when you're short on time, since it's not that long.

Work was very, very busy all day! Everyone must be getting ready for all the fall and Halloween parties this week, along with the Eagles-Cardinals game tonight. Thankfully, there were no major problems, and the day went quickly. My relief was one of the college boys who is always on time.

When I got home, I changed into regular clothes and listened to my Halloween cover cassette until the game came on. It was crazy. I've never seen a game with so many penalties. There was a penalty every other minute! Lots of injuries, too. I still don't know what happened to that one Cardinal player who had the nasty concussion. In the end, the Eagles made too many mistakes, including two big turnovers that cost them chances at points. The Cardinals out-ran them 24-20.

I had more luck with dinner. I made a tasty variation on the Cincinnati Chili recipe from Kit's Cooking Studio. I used the sweet spices with no cocoa (I'm out) and with green peppers and carrots added for more color and vitamins. The Apricot Honey Bread I made from the recipe in The Pooh Cook Book came out even better, perfectly moist and tender with just enough sweetness.

No comments: