Friday, October 17, 2014

The Not-So-Little Mermaid

Started off a gorgeous, sunny morning with two cinnamon scones from the Acme and applesauce for breakfast and two spooky episodes of Tiny Toon Adventures. "The Horror of Slumber Party Mountain" spoofs the popular B horror movies of the 70s and 80s (they even have a mock American International logo in the beginning) and the popularity of horror hostess Elvira in the late 80s-early 90s. "The Return of the Acme Acres Zone" gets seriously weird with a spoof of Blade Runner, Plucky and Hampton being spooked by a ghost in a haunted hotel, and Plucky and Duck Dodgers' attempt to stop Marvin the Martian and his protege Marsha from using their machine to suck up the universe.

Work was actually pretty quiet up until rush hour, much quieter than it has been in months. It was so quiet, I spent a good two hours on and off doing returns. It did pick up by about 2:30. Thankfully, it slowed down enough by 4:30 that I was able to get off without a relief.

Which was a good thing, since I had my own shopping to do. The Acme just restored it's cheap dollar items section in the first aisle you see right after the bakery/deli. The food was a little too cheap for my liking, but I did buy a bottle of bubble bath liquid. I needed chicken, but there were really no good sales...except for on Purdue ground chicken, which is $2.99. I bought two and a container of chicken sausage that had a manager's coupon. Restocked jam (Smuckers finally developed a spread without high fructose corn syrup, which was on sale), tomato sauce (Hunt's was on sale), light mayo, milk, buttermilk, and canned pumpkin. Bigelow's Spiced Chai tea was on clearance. I love chai (as long as it's not too spicy). Grabbed an avocado, which is part of the big "buck a bag" produce dollar sale. The fire alarm in my bedroom started beeping oddly this morning - it just needed a new 9-Volt battery.

I'm not happy with my schedule next week at all. First of all, I work at 8 AM on Sunday. Why? The Eagles aren't even playing this week! (This is their week off.) Second, I have fewer hours than I have. Third, there's a seven-hour day on Monday. They do make up for this somewhat with three days off, including next Saturday...but I'd really rather have a consistent schedule I can count on.

I dodged rush hour traffic across the Audubon Crossings Shopping Center to get to America's Best and pick up my contacts. Thankfully, they were quiet as can be. I was in and out, avoiding more heavy traffic on the Black Horse Pike going south. (They probably all decided to hit the shore the moment the weather looked like it was going to stay nice.)

I spent the rest of the evening at home, making pumpkin bread for the Acme's Oktoberfest party tomorrow (I won't be there, but I did promise it a while ago - I'll just drop it off at the store) and leftovers for dinner while watching Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid. Mr. Peabody (William Powell) is in the midst of a mid-life crisis. He and his wife (Irene Hervey) have rented a villa on a Pacific island for his health, but she keeps reminding him that he'll be 50 soon. He's not feeling terribly youthful...until he nets a genuine mermaid (Ann Blyth) during a fishing trip and brings her home. His wife says put her back, but he's already fallen for her girlish charms and keeps her in the fish pond in the villa. Half the island thinks he's crazy, and it just looks worse when his wife gets jealous and finally disappears. Now he has to decide what kind of woman he really wants...one who is real, or one who is fantasy.

This very peculiar romantic fantasy-comedy came out in the late 40s, when Hollywood was experimenting with similar romantic fantasies like Portrait of Jennie and The Enchanted Cottage. Ann Blyth is a very pretty mermaid; Powell has a lot of fun as the stuffy businessman who falls for a a woman who seems totally devoted to him. Fred Clark is especially funny as a local who befriends Peabody and keeps telling him about all the bad medical advice he's getting from  his girlfriend's brother. Oddly charming; if you like the premise, this was released by made-to-order company Olive Films. (The Haddon Township Library has a couple of their movies for rent.)

No comments: