Monday, October 06, 2014

The Last Days of Summer

My big chore for the morning was getting the laundry done. Not only did I have a really big load, thanks to the additional towels, but I wanted to get the last of the summer clothes washed so they could be put away for the season. Lucky for me, it wasn't busy at all this morning. I saw maybe one or two other people watching talk shows. There were no problems getting a washer or drier. It took just a little under an hour.

When I got home, I put anything that was to go with the summer clothes into one stack, then put year-round items in the other stack. I still need good winter clothes. Could probably use a real winter jacket, too. I may need a new pair of winter slacks - I'll have to check what I have. Definitely need a new winter purse. The big navy and white knit purse my sister Anny gave me on Christmas Eve in 2009 is a pilled, pulled mess. It's too big and needs more pockets.

I ran a Disney Halloween special throughout the morning. Halloween Hall of Fame is one of three Disney fall-oriented compilation specials my parents taped for us in 1988. Comedian Johnathan Winters stars in this odd little tale (probably from the 70s version of Walt Disney Presents, from Winters' references to the Minnesota Vikings during his improv sequence) about a security guard (Winters) who encounters a jack-o'lantern who is hiding in a crystal ball in Disney's prop room. Jack doesn't like how watered-down Halloween became in the mid-20th century. Winters uses "Pluto's Judgement Day," the classic Donald Duck short "Trick or Treat," and most of the featurette "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" to show how much fun Halloween can be.

Work was steady when I came in. The crowds picked up during rush hour and wouldn't slow down until about a half-hour before I left. It was a literal pain. My knees are really sore, and dealing with cranky customers wasn't fun, either. I was so happy when it slowed down enough by 8 that I was able to leave with no relief and no need for one.

Oh, and the Warner Archives order I put in last week arrived. I finally got the 1936 Show Boat and the 1943 Desert Song. If the original order ever appears, I'll donate them to one of the libraries. (Haddon Township actually has a couple of Warner Archives, 20th Century Fox Cinema Archives, and MGM Limited Edition DVDs in their collection.) If not, it's officially lost. I'll see if I can get The Desert Song in tomorrow before or after work.

No comments: