Sunday, September 06, 2015

Disco Summer Dolls

I began an absolutely gorgeous Sunday morning with Peach Spice Pancakes and Donna Summer. On the Radio was mainly a greatest hits compilation, including favorites like "I Remember Yesterday," "Bad Girls," "Hot Stuff," and "MacArthur Park," as well as a new one, the title song. I've always loved Donna Summer. My stepfather does, too. I remember dancing around the house to his Donna Summer records with Rose when we were really, really little.

Work was surprisingly on-and-off steady. This being both the Sunday before many kids go back to school and the day before Labor Day, I thought we'd be a LOT busier. A lot of people must have taken off for the Shore once the weather got warmer. Not only were there no major problems, I had plenty of time to work on story notes between customers. By 3:30, I was easily able to shut down with no relief and no need for one.

While it was hotter than yesterday and that breeze was gone, it was still dry and not as bad as it has been this summer. I took the long way home down Nicholson Road and Manor Avenue. The traffic was still bad, but it could have been a lot worse. Given this is Sunday and a holiday weekend, there wasn't even any road repair happening at Manor Avenue or the Atlantic Avenue Bridge.

When I got home, I went right into dressing the American Girl dolls. They're all either in school outfits or summer outfits this month. Samantha wears her full current "Meet" outfit (the pink Swiss-dotted dress with the big lace collar), complete with white stockings and black strap shoes. Her Hair Styling Set hat looks really cute with it. Josefina is in her orange and red Summer Outfit with the fake-leather vest and Riding Boots. Whitney wears a cute floral Queen's Treasures dress and headband that passes for 50's with the addition of the petticoat from her eBay poodle skirt and the Springfield Collection espadrilles. Molly's in (Kit's) blue School Outfit and oxfords. Jessa keeps things simple and cool in the tie-dye t-shirt from the 90's Earth Day Outfit, a pair of shorts and flamingo-print sneakers from several craft shows, and the sunglasses from Molly's Bathing Suit Outfit. I left Felicity in her Traveling Gown and the hat from Elizabeth's Summer Gown. I really don't have much to change her into.

Made an absolutely delicious dinner after I finished the dolls. I love those turkey tenderloins I've been getting cheap at the Acme. I cooked this one in broth in a frying pan. Cut up most of the older vegetables in my refrigerator for an amazing ratatouille. The turkey was succulent, moist, a bit salty, and very peppery! The vegetables melted in my mouth.

Treated myself to ice cream at Phillies' Yummies after dinner. While the wind is gone, the weather largely remains lovely, warm but not humid. We desperately need rain, though. The grass is dry and brittle; the gardens and trees are starting to droop. A few people put out flags or bunting for Labor Day. Most settled for what remained of their gardens. I waved to an old man on his porch who asked me where my bike was. I told him I'd given it a rest and opted to walk to Yummies instead.

There were plenty of people sitting at tables when I arrived, but no line. I thought I'd try something new they had listed, Cake Batter. "Cake Batter" turned out to be bright yellow butter/vanilla ice cream with fudgy cake pieces. Ooh, it was so delicious - especially the cake! Decadent and delightfully different.

Oh, and I called Dad and Jodie earlier in the night. Dad and Jodie called back. Technically, they're not doing anything tomorrow, but Jodie did mention having "some food around." I was planning on going for a swim regardless of what they were doing - it's supposed to start getting hot again tomorrow. Other than that, my only plans for Labor Day are laundry and lots of writing.

No comments: