Friday, September 25, 2015

The Mouse and the Magic

Started off the morning with writing. Scott and Mr. Eldridge discuss sending someone to find the remaining Guardians and their artifacts. Betty, who has overheard their conversation, says she'll do it. Scott wants her to finish her training (and stay out of real danger), but Mr. Eldridge points out that it does have merit. She's a Guardian herself, and she's not well-known to many people in Wennaria. She can travel without being detected. Scott says he'd do it, but he has too much on his plate at the moment, including stopping a carriage with a certain gangster in it...

I wanted to volunteer at Studio LuLoo, but they weren't open when I arrived there at quarter of noon. I just bought a can of Diet Dr. Pepper from Viola's International Deli and waited ten minutes or so for them to open. When they didn't, I walked back to my apartment and had a quick lunch of peach muffins before heading out to work.

Work was on-and-off steady, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If people aren't going to check out the Pope's visit in Philly, they're heading in the opposite direction to Wildwood for their annual Irish Festival. Not to mention, the weather was still perfect at that point, sunny and in the upper 70's-lower 80's. Once again, I had no major problems. It slowed down enough by 5 that I was able to shut down without a relief.

My schedule for this week is a little better than it has been the last few weeks. I do have a few late nights and one early day on Thursday. Otherwise, I have a few more hours, Tuesday and next Friday off this time.

I didn't need much in the way of groceries, either. I was mainly restocking meat. Picked up chicken breasts on a small sale. Small tubes of ground turkey were on sale and had manager's coupons on them. I bought two. Cereal was the other thing. The Acme generic cereals were still cheap; went with Multi-Grain Cheerios this time.

When I got home, I put everything away, then had leftovers for dinner. Made Apple Crisp for dessert while watching The Secret of NIMH. Mrs. Brisby, a gentle field mouse and widow with four kids, seeks help from a group of extremely intelligent rats to move her home before spring planting begins. She finds herself dropped in the middle of a power struggle between rats who want to continue to steal from the farmer, and rats who want to move to a place where they won't have to steal. They agree to help move her home, but when it all goes wrong and several rats (including two leaders) are killed, it's Mrs. Brisby herself who teaches everyone a lesson in true courage.

One of the most beautiful animated movies of the 80's, with gorgeous animation, an amazing score, and memorable characters. Violence (including three gristly on-screen deaths) and frank discussions of illness, death, and animal testing make this iffy for little kids. For grade-schoolers on up, it's one of my favorite animated movies and is highly recommended.

No comments: