Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Scent of a Summer Day

I slept in this morning and didn't get going until past 10. I couldn't believe how much cooler it was when I finally started breakfast. It had to be in the 70's, at least, sunny and breezy. It was a great day to bake. I hadn't baked in ages. Added some of that canned pumpkin and maple extract I got on clearance and the last of the chocolate chips to Alton Brown's Old School Muffin recipe and created Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip Muffins. Oh yum, they came out so nicely, wonderfully moist and flavorful.

Finally headed out to run errands around quarter after 1. First stop was the Oaklyn Library. They were surprisingly busy for a nice day and them being so close to closing. There were several people on the computers and a mom helping a little boy with his summer school lessons. I worked on organizing the DVDs. They were a mess! You'd think people would be able to figure out where to put things by now.

Stopped at Capitol Pizza really quick for lunch. It was 1:30, and they were just a bit past lunchtime. There were two other guys watching The Chew when I arrived. By the time I was eating my slice of mushroom, slice of cheese, and drinking Diet Pepsi, I had the place to myself.

Dodged the traffic on Cuthbert and the White Horse Pike as best I could as I headed for Westmont. I checked out Rite Aid first. They weren't having good sales on pads or ibuprofen. Thriftway's pads were a decent price, but they had practically no stock of almost any medicine in their small pharmacy section. I settled on the pads and their 75 cent toilet paper, which I ran out of this morning.

The Haddon Township Library was even busier than the Oaklyn Library. Their return carts, for books and DVDs, were overflowing! Everyone must be coming back from vacation, or returning items they took out during the recent heat waves. It took me almost an hour to shelve the piles of titles. The only title I couldn't get in was an E, Ex Machina. Everything else went in, even foreign films and kids' titles. I never even got to the audio books or CDs or new releases.

I took a couple of things out this week. After I've enjoyed all the other obscure comic book adaptations I've seen this year, I was definitely willing to give the irreverent Deadpool a shot, despite its R rating. They had one of Disney's most recent films, The Good Dinosaur, as well as the latest release for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Digging around in the Library's electronic card catalog website uncovered Five Minute Star Wars Stories, a collection of easy reader adaptations of famous moments from various Star Wars movies (including The Force Awakens), and a gathering of the novelizations of the first three Indiana Jones movies.

It was too nice of a day not to ride across Newton Lake Park on my way home. I'm surprised it wasn't much busier. Maybe the fact that I didn't get out until past quarter after 4 had something to do with it. There couldn't have been a nicer day in late August. The sun was shining, the river was sparkling, and the flora seemed a little bit perkier than it was the last time I was in the park. The humidity must have vanished with the torrential rain on Sunday.

Stopped at Phillies Yummies for a treat. I've been wanting to try their ice cream sandwiches all summer. They're a pretty decent price, compared to the rest of their stock. I tried the chocolate. Not bad. I suspect it may have come from a store, but it was very big, cool, sweet, and quite messy.

I ate a very quick dinner when I got home. Finished up the Pepe Le Pew Looney Tunes All Stars DVD as I did. Although Pepe's various attempts at wooing female cats could be formulaic, unlike Wile E and Road Runner, they did try to switch things up with different settings (Old New Orleans, modern Paris, the Louvre, the French Foreign Legion, a French movie studio, the Alps) and young "ladies" to be wooed (domestic cats accidentally doused with paint, a chihuahua trying to impress her friends with a fluffier coat, a wild panther who escaped the zoo, even a male cat trying to avoid dogs and people's boots). One cartoon even had Pepe mistaking Sylvester for a skunk in a gag in the very end of what was otherwise a Sylvester/Tweety romp.

The only cartoon to not have him chasing some hapless "beautiful young lady skunk" was "Odor of the Day." Here, Pepe vies with a dog for the bed in a warm cabin. It was kind of odd and really seemed more like a Daffy or solo Sylvester outing than a Pepe short.

Finished the night with writing. Ben says he and the other residents of the Cottages are trying to figure out what the Empire Industries wants with all the beachfront property they're buying. Leia and Luke agree to help figure out what's going on.

No comments: