Monday, March 06, 2017

Spring Bounces Back

I slept in this morning. Got a quick start with breakfast, then dusting the living area. Ran one of the earlier Bowery Boys movies as I worked. Bowery Bombshell has Sach framed for robbery when he's photographed next to the actual robber. The robbers hope to use this to pin the crime on another gangster whom no one has ever seen. Slip hopes to use this to their advantage and put their friend Kathy's photography skills to good use. Meanwhile, Kathy's friend the Professor has created a formula that can blow up anything...or turn a human into a living bomb if they drink it...

Headed out into a really beautiful, sunny spring day. I'm happy I got to spend it doing carts. It was cool, but not too warm for the time of year, probably in the lower-mid 50's, and nowhere near as windy. After yesterday, I had no desire to be inside dealing with people anyway. One bagger called out, but there was one during the first half of my shift and another doing work inside for most of the day. This time, I had no problems whatsoever and was in and out.

When I got home, I hit the shower. Needless to say, I was hot and sweaty after spending most of the day pushing carts around. After I got out, I had a quick dinner of canned Italian Wedding Soup, then finished the dusting. With everything that happened last month, I never got around to it. I shouldn't have put it off. It was really bad, especially the corner where the TV and DVDs are.

Ran Captain Blood as I ate and dusted, and then as I went online. Errol Flynn couldn't have made a better Hollywood debut than this grand Hollywood seafaring tale. Unjustly arrested for aiding a rebel in England, physician Peter Blood is sent to Jamaica as a slave and sold to Miss Arabella Bishop (Olivia DeHaviland), the niece of the island's head of the military (Lionel Atwill). Though he does eventually gain his release, he ultimately helps his fellow slaves escape. Hoping to revenge their poor treatment at the hand of King James of England, they become the most notorious pirates in the Caribbean. Even that and defeating a Spanish pirate (Basil Rathbone) who intended to hold her for ransom isn't enough to win Arabella's love. When England goes to war with France, Blood and his men go, too...and Blood sets out to prove that even a pirate can fight for country and for the woman he loves.

Delightful piece of backlot blarney introduced Flynn to most American moviegoers and made the 19-year-old DeHaviland a star (she'd done three other movies earlier in 1935, including A Midsummer's Night's Dream). This was the first of 8 movies the two would make together. If you love the stars or swashbucklers in general, this is a no-brainer and one of the seminal action films of the 1930's.

No comments: