Sunday, June 27, 2021

Pride and Matches

Began the morning with Blueberry-Lemon Pancakes and Yankee Doodle Mickey. This kid record from the early 80's features the Disneyland Chorus, the Disney characters, and kid singers performing familiar patriotic songs, plus "The Liberty Tree" from the movie version of Johnny Tremain. A very young Molly Ringwauld can be heard on "This Is My Country" and "God Bless America." Mickey sings the title song and joins Goofy, Donald, and the kids for a medley saluting the Armed Services. Mickey honors the Marines and the Air Force, Goofy gets the Army, and Donald, of course, the Navy.

Dashed off to work shortly after the record ended. This time, we were a lot busier, with lines occasionally down the aisles...but we also had more help. It would slow down momentarily, then suddenly get busy again. Thankfully, there were no problems whatsoever. The crowds thinned out enough by 6 for me to get out without a relief or the need for one.

Went straight home, trying to ignore the hot and humid weather. I had to figure out how to get my bike inside. I can't put it in the garage this week. The driveway's being redone. I discovered the hard way when I tried to drag it up the concrete step and into my place that I can't keep it in my apartment, either. Even with Jodie's help, it was a pain to get inside. It also takes up too much room in my narrow hall, which I tried to explain to Jodie in the first place. I may just lock it to a tree starting tomorrow morning.

Jodie gave me an Italian hoagie, which I had for dinner. Listened to my America the Beautiful record set while I ate. I found this collection of patriotic music released in honor of the 1986 Statue of Liberty restoration so long ago, I can't remember exactly when I picked it up anymore. Favorites on the first disc include "American Patrol," "This Land Is Your Land," "The Grand Canyon Suite," and a medley of George E. Cohen songs performed live, with people singing along in the background.

Worked a little bit on my fanfic after dinner. Brett angrily and drunkenly calls Jack out for being a traitor, while her oldest son Adam wants to know what's the "game" the Red King is always saying everyone should play his way. It's more like "everyone needs to follow his rules or else." He orders Orson, Charles, and the Doormouse arrested...but Richard won't let that happen.

Took a shower after I broke, then finished the night on YouTube with more Match Game featuring Fannie Flagg and Charles Nelson Reilly. They would remain popular panelists for the rest of the show's run (though Charles did take occasional hiatuses for other projects). One of Fannie's funniest appearances in 1976 had her wearing a long wavy wig and putting on a Brooklyn accent, making her look and sound a bit like Maple LaMarsh. Charles and tough guy Scoey Mitchilll changed seats and personalities for an episode later that year. Next year, Fannie was really in the dark when the lights went out completely when she tried to give an answer. In 1978, Charles encouraged a young officer to "attack!" when giving his answer.

Charles did some of his best work in a syndicated episode from 1981. Fed up with Charles' constant heckling, Gene turns the microphone over to him and takes his spot. His attempts to take answers and interview the contestant are adorably awkward and probably some of the funniest things he ever did.

Finish up Pride Month with this salute to two truly creatively matching minds!

No comments: