Thursday, August 26, 2021

Hot Day at Home

Started off a sunny, bright morning with breakfast and To Tell the Truth. Jean-Louis was one of the great costume designers of the Golden Age of Hollywood. He created the famous slinky dress and gloves worn by Rita Hayworth in Gilda, among others. Peggy Cass and Bert Convy dropped out of the voting; they'd both worked with him. Bill Cullen and I said #1; Kitty Carlisle went with #2. Turns out the well-dressed lady was right. They had more luck with an older woman who started the Gray Panthers organization to help with the rights of older people.

What's My Line didn't do as well with their first contestant. No one came close to guessing that a pretty young woman in a miniskirt was a union carpenter. They did better demonstrating their skills with a hammer and nails. Turns out Jim Backus is great at hammering. He and Arlene Francis weren't as fast as Soupy Sales and Melba Moore, but theirs were straighter. Moore proved to be a whiz at the guess-the-occupations mini-game, getting them all right on the first try. The didn't do much better with a guy who sold touchdown poles for football fields, but Soupy Sales hit that the Mystery Guest was football star and actor Jim Brown on his first try.

I was making the bed when I saw the photographer arrive with their equipment. I settled down to read for a while as I waited for them to take photos of my side of the house. And waited. And waited. And waited some more. I heard them inside, but they never came to the apartment. After an hour, I gave up on waiting and went for a walk, leaving them taking pictures of the pool.

My first stop was the library...but as it turns out, they're only open on Monday evenings and Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Needed to use the bathroom, so I went to Dunkin' Donuts next. Since I was there, I treated myself to my favorite toasted coconut donut. Strolled a few blocks down to Dollar General for sponges, a box of raspberry fig newtons, cheese and tortilla chips for dinner, and a "Lymonade" Sprite.

Put on Hogan's Heroes when I got in. Russian spy Marya (Nita Talbot) has told a German general quite a bit about Hogan's suspected activities, enough to make  him suspicious. He takes Hogan as "The Hostage" and keeps him in an oil refinery...one that the boys were ordered to blow to smithereens. 

Switched to Match Game '75 while having a smoothie for lunch. Goofy comic Avery Schriber and future TV villainess Joan Collins took part in one of the funniest episodes of that year. Charles gave the answer "bisexual" on the Audience Match "Bi __," and looked quite satisfied when it came in second. Later, Gene climbs over the audience to attack the camera when it won't do what he wants it to do.

Heard Jodie in her place and called her to find out where the photographer went. Turns out, first of all, she never intended to photograph my side of the house, only the main house and pool. Second, the house will absolutely be going on the market September 14th...so now I really need to find a place to live.

I was so worn out, I took a nap after finishing the dishes. I had no other plans for today, and it was still too hot to do anything else outside. Despite the noise from the kids playing next-door, I went down at quarter of 1 and slept until almost 3.

Went outside for a short but refreshing dip in the pool after my nap. To my surprise, no one else was around, not even Jodie. I had the pool all to myself. I swam lazily back and forth, occasionally floating on my back or stretching by the steps on the shallow end. Dried off on a patio chair, enjoying the warm but dry sunlight.

Went on the computer to look around for realtors and apartments after my swim. The realtor down the street on West Clinton didn't have the best reviews, but the ones in Collingswood and Haddonfield did. No luck with an apartment, though. Some sites said buildings were unavailable; others said "ask for availability." 

Worked on writing for a while after that. The Queen suggests that Duchess Marcia and Bill the White Rabbit take Brett and her boys to see the Mock Turtle, a wise (if anguish-prone) creature. Meanwhile, Richard's hoping to get his men out of the dungeon...but that means the tarts are unguarded...

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Made nachos with cheese, green peppers, onions, and tomatoes while watching Match Game '76. Match Game PM got a bit wilder at David Doyle tried to help a young man win money with "__ Stadium" on the Head-to-Head.

Finished the night after a shower with The Love Parade on Watch TCM. I go further into this sexy operetta that was the film debut of Jeanette MacDonald the movie that made Maurice Chevalier an international star at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: