Saturday, April 23, 2022

Exploring the World Around Us

Began a cloudy morning after breakfast with a ride down to Collingswood for my first yard sale run of the year. I saw a listing for a yard sale on Park Avenue, near the Krispy Kreme, on Craigslist last night. I arrived around 11:30...to find it was a mess of junk piled here, there, and everywhere. Most of it was rusting, tattered, broken, or otherwise in terrible shape. Managed to dig out a couple of CDs and two records that weren't soaked or covered in mold:

The original cast album for Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope

Great Memories from Old Time Radio, aka songs sung by radio stars and a few comedy routines

Greatest hits CDs for John Cougar Melloncamp and Alice Cooper

Blind Pig Records 20th Anniversary Collection - I never heard of most of the artists on this two-disc collection of blues and R&B performers who recorded for the independent Blind Pig label. Thought I'd try something different. 

The Big Band Era. Vol. 1

Had a whole bunch of errands to run. Since I was in the area, my first stop was the Westmont Acme. Wanted to restock Propel for the week. Grabbed salads for lunch at work this week, too. Stopped at Target to pick up more of those amazing date-nut bars. Target's generic brand is lower in fat and salt than most brands at half the price, and they taste amazing. Can't find my floss, so I bought more. Picked up two packs of Softsoap bars at Dollar Tree.

Went straight upstairs when I got home. It wasn't more than 20 minutes later when I got a text saying a package for me showed up on the porch at the house on Hillcrest. Oops. It was the 80's record of the Indian fairy tale The Fairy Princess and the Ivory City I ordered off eBay. I didn't realize until I already ordered it that I forgot to change my address. Rode over to Hillcrest, grabbed it, and rode home.

After a lovely lunch downstairs, I worked on writing for a while. Richard insists on all of them wearing armor to get them into the throne room. That works at least somewhat well...until they walk up to the throne expecting to see White King Gene and get quite a shock...

Broke for dinner at 7. Watched an episode of Doc McStuffins while I ate. "Huggable Hallie" is more than a little spooked when her foot starts talking. Doc finds out her voice chip fell into her foot and now has to be removed. Hallie's scared, then embarrassed. The others assure her that even the bravest people get scared every now and then. "Pop Up Pablo" is a pop-up frog on a spring whose constant jumping gets on everyone's nerves when  he interrupts their castle rescue game. He fakes injuries to get attention, but learns a lesson when he damages his spring for real and no one listens.

Finished the night online, starting with A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits at Tubi. I go further into this modern fairy tale for teens at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


The Lawrence Welk Show is probably the last program you'd think of to celebrate Earth Day, but concern for the environment was so prevalent in the 1970's that it reached even Welk's champagne bubble world. "The World Around Us" had everyone singing songs about plants, trees, and the Earth and its creatures. "Energy Crisis Salute" started off with everyone peddling little cars, but is mostly a tribute to various forms of transportation that use less gas than 70's muscle cars. "The Weather Show" is from later in 1982 as the focus switches to various forms of weather, from California sunshine to Ken Deleno telling sweet Kathie Sullivan that "Baby, It's Cold Outside." 

Here's three musical ways to celebrate our earth, its weather, and those who live under it. 

No comments: