Wednesday, August 03, 2022

At the Movies

Got a quick start today! I was up at quarter after 9, and the movie I wanted to see was at 10:40. Ate breakfast as quickly as I could, then called Uber. There was no way I'd get there in time on the bus. I definitely picked the right option, because the driver arrived in less than a minute and got me to the Cinemark in Somerville in ten. 

They were surprisingly busy for 10:30 in the morning. I guess a lot of people wanted to either take advantage of cheaper prices (my ticket was $7.50), or get out before the heat got bad. I considered getting popcorn and water, but not only were the lines long, but I planned on going out to eat later. Opted to move along and find the theater instead. Given it was the first showing of the day, there were only two or three people behind me and two next to me. (Although those two made a mess and left popcorn and a drink holder on the floor.) 

I ended up seeing the Baz Lutherman Elvis biography. I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but I do appreciate Lutherman's flashy style, and I love his other movies like The Great Gatsby and Moulin Rouge. I'll go further into the specifics tomorrow at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

(Oh, and definitely the most interesting commercials were for Black Adam with The Rock playing a god again coming out in October and the next Mission: Impossible movie. I'm disappointed that the latter won't drop until next year. The trailer is awesome.)

After a quick stop at the bathroom, I headed next-door to Applebee's for lunch. It was almost 2 by the time I got there, and they weren't busy at all. Just a few groups and pairs scattered across the room. They likely just got out of a movie like I did. Had a simple but tasty Strawberry Chicken Almond Salad and iced tea. I even found an old Applebee's gift card I had a little bit of money left on.

Hiked over the hill and across the cart-strewn parking lot to the sprawling Walmart perched on the edge of the hill. It has some of the best views around. They weren't really all that busy, either. I peered around the toy section, but I did just buy all those doll outfits last week. Ended up with two 50 cent composition books, four 15 cent folders, their peanut butter chocolate chip date bars, shampoo, and two containers of "sweet vanilla biscuits" - soft cake-like vanilla bean cookies - that were on clearance in the bakery.

Since I had the time and I took Uber to the movies, I figured I'd take the bus home. It picks you up right in front of Taco Bell on the White Horse Pike. I ended up waiting almost a half-hour. They don't really give a specific pick-up time for any stop between the Voorhees Town Center and Barrington. Another guy had more problems with it than I did. The "stop" is just a sign, no bench or even a trash can. The day being hot, humid, and sunny didn't improve things. Thankfully, the bus did finally turn up around 4:20. Other than stopping for a few minutes to let a woman in a wheelchair off, they hit no major traffic or trouble. I was home by quarter of 5.

Worked on writing for a little while when I got in. Richard's inventions sound like a load of hooey to Brett, but she listens to  his rambling anyway because he's the only one who knows how to get them through the woods. She's just hoping he remembers how, since he sure can't remember how to stay on his horse. He keeps listing to either side and almost ending up on the ground.

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Watched Let's Make a Deal while I ate. I was a bit surprised to see a different game for Door #4 in this episode. They gave out money to the randomly chosen contestant instead of spinning a wheel. A couple dressed as motorcyclists took big cash, only to realize they passed up a car. They got appliances on the big deal of the day, while a clown couple ended up with a very 80's brass-and-glass kitchen ensemble and money to redecorate.

Had dessert while watching Match Game '77. Everyone throws out nautical terms for "The Deep __" on the Audience Match, but it's Fannie who ends up helping her with "__ Catalog" in the Head-to-Head. Richard's happier drooling over a pretty court reporter.

Finished the night on The Roku Channel with the last season of Charlie's Angels. Julie and her friend Bianca are "Angels In the Deep" when Julie goes diving for sunken treasure. Julie doesn't know what to think when they're attacked underwater by a man with a knife. Turns out there's a lot more to that sunken treasure than possible booty when they're chased by a pair of goofy goons and learn Bianca is in up to her neck with drug sellers whose shipment went down with the boat. 

No comments: