Tuesday, August 02, 2022

National Night Out

Began a far sunnier morning with breakfast and the earlier Peanuts summer special. Chuck and the other kids recall how It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown when Lucy signed them all up for summer camp. Lucy and the girls beat Charlie Brown and the boys at every sporting event and activity, until the boys get Snoopy to arm wrestle Lucy! 

Worked on writing for a while after that. Brett's alarmed, then annoyed when Richard keeps falling off his horse. He says he's doing fine. All he needs is practice. The others remind him he can't practice if he's fallen under his ride.

Broke to get ready for work at quarter after 12. Today's Match Game '74 is probably my favorite episode from that year. Charles reads his answer to "__ Roulette" for Janet Finn in the slow-moving style of newscaster Walter Cronkite...to the frustration of Janet and the annoyance of the others, who attack him after he finally gets it out!

Headed off to work a little early again so I could have lunch there. Work went pretty much the same as yesterday. Once again, I swept the store and pushed carts...but were a little busier today, too, thanks to this being Senior Discount Day. I also had to put away cold items, clean up a fruit spill in a register, and mop up the leaky floor around the meat department. Every time I tried to do one thing, someone would tell me to do something else, and then another person would tell me to do something while I did that! I wish they'd make up their minds. I can't do 200 things at once. I'm not a machine.

It was hot, sunny, and killer humid for most of the afternoon, even when clouds kept moving in and out. They were long gone by the time I started home. Oaklyn's fire and police department always holds a fair for National Night Out on West Clinton in early August. I arrived there to see huge crowds watching in awe as the fire fighters lifted their ladder high into the pale blue sky. Police officers gave out free water bottles, inflatable balls, and glow-in-the-dark Frisbees. Kids jumped in bounce houses, one a basic rainbow-colored, one candy-themed, got their faces painted, and had mock sword fights with balloon weapons. 

I ended up with a free bag of popcorn and a soft pretzel. Grabbed two quick slices of pizza and a bottle of Diet Pepsi from Phillies Phatties and had them out on the picnic tables. It was too crowded with kids hanging out to eat in there! One of the kids even asked me if he could ride my bike. Uh, no. I need my bike. It's not a toy. I did get to have a quick chat with Brittany, one of my neighbors from Hillcrest, and her kids coming back from getting ice cream.

Watched the tail end of Match Game '77 when I got home. Brett Somers spent the last week of 1977 doing a play, but Fannie Flagg was a more than adequate substitute. As I came in, Gene was delighted to meet an older man with a Yugoslavian last name who spoke Serbo-Croatian like he did. Fannie and Mary Wickes were happier flirting with him.

Finished the night on Tubi with Clambake. I go further into this charming Elvis beach musical from 1967 at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.

No comments: