Saturday, April 13, 2024

Blown Into Matches

Started off the morning with breakfast and the first episode of Match Game '73. Along with the musical for review, I intend to spend my weekend off watching Match Game episodes for my birthday. And as someone once said, the beginning is a very good place to start. Richard Dawson appeared on the show from the start, joined for the first week by Michael Landon, Anita Gillette, Jo Ann Pflug, Jack Klugman, and Vicki Lawrence. Of those six, only Landon, frustrated by the new rules, would never return. (And it's a shame. He was charming, and he did play well.) 

Did a few things online for a half-hour before I finally headed out for a long bike ride up to Barrington. There are several collectible or antique stores up there that I wanted to check out, starting with the Barrington Antique Center. This sprawling warehouse has everything you can imagine jammed into its tiny rooms, from depression glass and genuine antique furniture and clothes to relatively recent DVDs and Barbies. 

Normally, I love prowling around there, but they were incredibly busy today. I couldn't move without running into someone who wanted to riffle through the same shelf as me. I also rarely find records there. It's not that they don't have good ones. It's just that their records tend to be twice the price of anyone else's. I wasn't paying $10 for a rock album I could find in the dollar bin at Innergroove, but I would pay $10 for a double disc set of the MGM musicals Lovely to Look At and Brigadoon. I also found the soundtrack for The Aristocats for $5. It was scratched, but playable. Found small loaves of bread on a plate near the door for $5; grabbed a chocolate chip loaf for breakfast tomorrow.

Had no luck anywhere else. The House of Fun, a collectible toy and DVD shop in a shopping center near Lawnside, had nothing of interest. Past and Present Vintage mainly sold vintage sports shirts and jerseys. For the prices they were asking, I could buy something new. 

Besides, the weather wasn't much fun, especially for a long ride. It was cold, much colder than it has been, probably in the upper 50's-lower 60's.The sun kept hiding behind clouds. Blustery winds whipped down the streets of Barrington and Haddon Heights, nearly blowing me over at one point. I hurried down Atlantic Avenue, under King's Highway and into Audubon.

Had lunch at the Legacy Diner. It's been a while since I've eaten there. Even at well past 2 PM, they were busy. It took 10 minutes to get a waitress, but they did bring my lunch quickly. I do like their pancakes. Had coconut-pineapple pancakes with bacon and unsweetened iced tea. The pancakes were tasty, if slightly dry. The bacon could have been cooked more, but I like mine crispy.

I was originally going to try the new ice cream parlor on the corner of Cuthbert and the White Horse Pike, but despite the sign out front claiming they open at noon, the young man behind the counter said they weren't opening until 5. Oh well. I went back across the street to WaWa for a treat instead. Pineapple is the flavor of the summer there this year, so I tried a Pineapple Pie Milkshake. Not bad. Very pineapple, with crunchy bits sprinkled on top, if a bit too sweet.

Soon as I got home, I put Alice In Wonderland on as I got organized and rested. I go further into this all-star musical miniseries from 1985 at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Finished the night online after a shower with tonight's Match Game marathon. Bill Cullen, the Dean of Game Shows himself, knew more than a little bit about panel shows...but he seemed to do better on more typical examples of the genre like To Tell the Truth. He was mainly there because he and Gene Rayburn were good friends. For all that, he played relatively well, and he certainly seemed to enjoy himself.

He's another one who turned up almost from the beginning in 1973. He was on the week with "Mama" Cass Elliot, including the episode where Brett's insulting response to a question now has that show banned from the airwaves. He joined Patti Deusch in 1974 to meet a sweet lady who wore those thick yarn ribbons in her pigtails and in 1977, saw a man be so happy to win, he did bell kicks Gene Kelly would envy. 

He turned up sporadically through 1981, well into the syndicated run, by which time he was announced as being from Blockbusters. He was on the all-game show host week mentioned during the Peter Marshall marathon on Easter with people who had either been hosts, or would be one. His last appearance was during a 1981 episode where Gene showed up wearing a white old man wig, claiming to be Mr. Perriwinkle. Actually, it was the wig he wore as Scrooge when he and Bill did A Christmas Carol in Boston. His last appearance on Match Game was Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour in 1983 to promote his new Hot Potato on NBC. 

Join the Dean of Game Shows and make a few blockbuster matches yourself in this wild marathon!

No comments: