Thursday, April 11, 2024

Rhythm In Oaklyn

Began the morning with breakfast and Green Eggs and Ham. Guy sets himself up for a "Guyfall" when a careless word from him gets Looka captured by the wall guards. E.B blames him for spilling the beans and refuses to discuss it. Sam and Pam kidnap them and bring them to their home, but Guy distrusts Pam, pointing out that she still hasn't made green eggs and ham for him. Sam, however, loves his mother and ends up following her to deliver the Moo-Lacka-Moo to the Yooks.

Let Family Feud run as I made my grocery list. Though it was a little late, Buzzr ran a Valentine's Day special featuring the ladies of All My Children playing the ones from General Hospital. I rooted for General Hospital - my parents were big fans of that show in the 80's - but All My Children took an early lead and emerged victorious in the end. Ran into a few familiar faces here, including Emma Samms, Jacklyn Zemen (who would later be hilarious on Match Game '90), and Dorothy Lyman from Mama's Family

Headed out around 11 to make a quick grocery run. I didn't like the look of the weather. It was cloudy and windy, but also warm and humid. Wanted to get everything done as soon as possible. Started off at the Westmont Plaza. Sprouts had the Bobo's oat bars and Gold Nugget bumpy oranges on sale again. Found peanut butter cookies on the bakery clearance rack. Grabbed coconut milk here, too. Hit Dollar Tree really quick for soap before I moved on.

The Acme was only slightly busier than the pin-drop quiet Westmont Plaza had been. Mainly needed to restock yogurt, apples, and mozzarella cheese to snack on here. Made use of a $2 off baked goods online coupon to pick up a tub of coconut macaroon bites after I enjoyed the bag of coconut macaroons from Marshalls. 

Newton Lake Park wasn't much busier than the stores. I think I just missed the lunch crowd. It's beautiful down there now. The hill I pushed my bike over was covered in a thick golden carpet of buttercups, and the trees are just starting to turn the most delicate shades of lime green. Only the wind could be heard whistling over the treetops.

My last stop was the pretzel shop for lunch. Picked up two pretzels, a pepperoni-stuffed pretzel, and a can of Diet Pepsi. Unlike the stores, they were busy. I waited in a short line for a few minutes before I could get my orders.

Had lunch at home while watching Split Second. The first episode was really close. The young man who backpacked across Europe to see his favorite tennis star at Wimbledon barely got an early lead, but the two women kept catching up with him. He had fewer problems with the Countdown Round. He opted to return and try for the car again...then was beaten in the Countdown Round by a lady who had been behind the entire game. She figured she wouldn't get that lucky twice and opted to take a nice fur and money instead of the car.

Switched to Rhythm on the River while putting my groceries away and going through more things to donate. I go further into this 1940 comedy with Bing Crosby and Mary Martin as songwriters who don't realize they're ghostwriting for the same man at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Listened to records while doing job hunting. Nevada Fighter is probably the best of the albums Mike Nesmith made with his own band after he left The Monkees. "(Propinquity) I've Just Begun to Care," my favorite of his ballads, is on this album. He also does a nice recording of the Roy Rogers song "Tumbling Tumbleweeds." Other good numbers here including "Grand Ennui," "Rainmaker," and the title song.

(Oh, and somewhere around 5 PM, I looked out the window and realized Johnson Avenue was very wet. It must have rained sometime before then. Thankfully, the real storm wouldn't arrive until nearly midnight. It's been going hard off and on since then.)

Worked on writing for a while after that. While searching for flowers on the path going through the woods, Kathleen encounters a majestic snow-white horse ridden by a handsome young blonde man in a fine royal suit. He condescendingly asks her where the town is, as he and his sister are late to a meeting with the Town Council and have no time to spend with peasant women. His sister is a beautiful golden-haired woman slightly older than her in a white and black carriage who, to Kathleen's surprise, claims to be Sir Michael's fiancee.

Broke for dinner at 7 PM. Watched Match Game '73 while I ate. Some interesting outfits in this one. Gene sports an ugly couch-cover plaid tweed coat, while Loretta Swit goes for a black halter top and red bow tie. Things get really wild when the contestant wins the Head-to-Head. Charles runs out and throws confetti, and Betty grabs Gene for a kiss!

Finished the night with more records after a shower. Most of the songs on Perry Como's Easy Listening two-disc set are from the late 50's-early 60's (though the set itself seems to date from 1971). "Make Someone Happy" is from a minor hit musical of the early 60's, Do-Re-Mi. We also get Como's biggest and most familiar hit, "Dream Along With Me." Other familiar numbers include "Over the Rainbow," "Girl of My Dreams," "Hello Young Lovers," and "Sleepy Time Gal."

I have a couple of George Benson albums I haven't gotten around to hearing yet. Thought I'd sneak In Your Eyes from 1983 in tonight after Perry Como finished. "Lady Love Me" and "Being With You" were the hits here. Other songs I liked include the title song, "Late at Night," and "In Search of a Dream." 

No comments: