Thursday, April 18, 2024

Cold Spring

Began the morning with breakfast and Green Eggs and Ham. Pam is "On Her Dookness' Secret Service" when she's given her next big assignment - to take down Sam. Meanwhile, Michellee does an expert bit of acting when she distracts the Guy Watcher long enough for her husband to attempt to disarm the bomb. E.B and Looka have far less luck convincing his father the Dooka to not launch his missile, but Sam does manage to rescue them from Looka's room.

Did a few things online, then headed out to run some quick errands in the Westmont Plaza before the kids got out of school. I found the right D3 vitamins, but the color-safe bleach was either too expensive, or came in huge bottles I couldn't carry home. Did better at Sprouts. Grabbed Bobo's and Kodiak granola bars, coconut milk, and coconut cookies. Looked for bleach at Dollar Tree, but they didn't have anything color-safe. Ducked out just as the kids started coming over from the high schools and middle school for lunch.

I did finally find color-safe bleach in smaller containers at Family Dollar. I was in and out there once I got what I was looking for. Considered picking up pretzels for lunch, but finally decided I wasn't really that hungry and just rode home. The weather wasn't really appropriate for running around, either. It was cloudy and cold, in the upper 50's, far chillier than it has been lately. 

Had a smaller lunch while watching Classic Concentration. The first episode took place during a tournament to win a South Seas vacation. The male contestant won a Windjammer Caribbean cruise, among many other prizes, which is likely why this was part of the Spring Break marathon. I wish they'd stuck to that; I wanted to see who won the South Seas trip. Two more women started on a totally different, non-tournament week in the next episode. 

I was so tired, I went down for a nap after the shows ended. I wanted to yesterday, but I ended up curtailing it when I went out with Jessa. Passed out for over 2 hours, until 4:30, and was still tired afterwards.

Put on Sweet Kitty Bellairs while I tried to wake up. I go further into this charming and underrated operetta from the early 30's at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Worked a little bit on writing next. Kathleen is so nervous, she can barely talk to the lady. Jacqueline dismisses her fears, insisting that she is Sir Michael's new fiancee. Her husband to be is...in dispose...and has sent her to manage his affairs.

Broke for dinner at 7 PM. Watched Match Game '73 while I worked. Game show host Robert Q. Lewis joined in for his only week on the show, along with Morey Amsterdam, comedy writer Ann Elder, and in her first week, sweetly silly comedienne Joyce Bulifant. I really wish Morey had turned up more on the show after 1974. His hilarious quips added a lot in the first and third seats, including the rather morbid "fat and skinny" poem in the second episode.

Finished the night working on my review while listening to Disney soundtracks on LP. Encanto is one of several recent Disney films that have found far more success on home media than in the theater. It's a shame, because this story of a magical Colombian family and the power-less daughter who tries to find out what happened to that magic has some terrific Lin Manuel Miranda songs. The soundtrack went over far better than the film, with the rollicking "We Don't Talk About Bruno" hitting number one. Other good numbers here include the opening "The Family Madrigal," the other hit "Surface Pressure," and beautiful sister Isobel wondering "What Else Can I Do?"

The Aristocats also came out at a difficult time for Disney. It would be the last movie Walt greenlit in his lifetime, though it was released in 1970, well after he passed on. It's slight and charming, but some of the songs aren't bad. The jazzy "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" is the standard here; Louis Prima's performance on my album may be even better than the one in the film. Surprisingly, it also includes a song written for the film, but not used, the sweet "She Never Felt Alone." 

Actually, the best song on the album wasn't written for Aristocats. Since Aristocats doesn't have much of a score, it includes three songs about cats written for Disney films of the 50's and 60's. My favorite by far of these is the Sherman Brothers' comic jazz title song for the original That Darn Cat, which I believe isn't available anywhere else besides here and that movie. (The others are "Thomasina," from the odd fantasy drama The Three Lives Of Thomasina, and "The Siamese Cat Song.")

No comments: