Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Come On In Out of the Rain

Began a gloomy, rainy morning with breakfast and Charlie & Lola. "I Wish I Could Do That and Also That Too" says Lola when a friend from school invites her to play beads on the same day as Marv's big space party. Lola has to decide which is more important, going to a big, fancy party or spending time with a friend.

Headed to work after I got dressed. It was coming down so hard, I had to call Uber. The driver coming here took 12 minutes. To my surprise, since the rain was worse by then, the one going home only took 4 minutes. At least I made into work just on time.

Work was pretty much the same as yesterday. The rain slowed briefly between about 11:30 and 12;30 before starting up again and pouring hard as ever. It was even quieter today than yesterday, despite it being our senior discount day. I did get wet gathering carts, but otherwise, there were no problems.

Soon as I got home, I changed into regular clothes and put on Animal Crackers while taking down the Easter decorations. I go further into the second movie made by the Marx Brothers at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog.


Switched to records in order to focus on putting in two job applications and writing. Reveille for Beverly and Jam Session are similar World War II vehicles for Ann Miller from her days appearing in B musicals for Columbia. I've seen Revellie (which can now be found on Tubi), and while the story is silly, the songs are terrific, including "Night and Day" by Frank Sinatra, "One O'Clock Jump" by Count Basie and His Orchestra, and "Take the A Train" by Duke Ellington and His Orchestra. I can't seem to find Jam Session anywhere, which is a shame. Some of the great music here includes "I Can't Give You Anything but Love" by Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra and "Cherokee" by Charlie Barnet and His Orchestra. 

I decided I wanted Kathleen's love interest in the fairy tale to not be so royal this time. Now, the one coming home is a wealthy scholar who was handling business dealings in the near-by large city and is said to have dealing with Mother Nature herself. He's also supposedly bringing home a woman he met in town who will be his bride. This disappoints Kathleen, who has a crush on the gentle businessman.

Let Match Game '90 run while I ate Easter leftovers for dinner. Veteran's Day week continues as Bruce Baum shows off one of his ridiculous inventions, a shower attached to the head. He also shows off his "earliest photos," which frankly, are a little too early. The Marines continue to be besotted with Karen and Fiona, to the annoyance of Charles, who probably wishes a couple would look his way.

Finished the night with more records I've acquired recently. Back to the Future: The Musical came to Broadway last year via London, where it was a smash hit. Though it's gone over well on this side of the pond too, critics in New York apparently have mixed feelings. The story is pretty much a repeat of the first movie, with a few updated details (Doc's not attacked by terrorists here). 

The big drawing card onstage - the realistic DeLorean that can really hit 88 miles an hour - obviously doesn't come across on disc. What we get are some decent original songs, including the joyful "Gotta Start Somewhere" for future mayor Goldie Wilson, the sweet "Wherever We're Going" for Marty's girlfriend Jennifer, and two delightful numbers for Doc, "It Works!" when he gets the flux capacitor going (complete with chorus girls Marty comments on) and "For the Dreamers" in 1955. I can kind of understand the critics' complaints about it being a rehash, but honestly, some of the songs are charming enough for me to give this a pass. If you're a fan of the film like me or want to try a sci-fi musical, there's enough here that's worth checking out.

Elvis' Golden Records is a collection of some of his biggest early hits. I picked this one up to get iconic numbers like "Teddy Bear," "Loving You," "Don't Be Cruel," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog," and "All Shook Up." This was apparently the first rock greatest hits collection, and if you love Elvis and don't already have these songs elsewhere, it's still worth having today. 

2 comments:

Linda said...

If you can find it on YouTube, there was a great special in the 80s called Life Goes to War, where Johnny Carson (the narrator and host) talks about going to basic training and seeing Reveille for Beverly. I had never heard of the movie before that, now I remember it from Life Goes to War.

Emma Redmer said...

Having enjoyed the film when I reviewed it last June, I'll have to look for that special.