Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cooling Off

It felt a little nicer when I stuck my head out this morning. Of course, the overcast sky was a big help there. I ran Daisy-Head Mayzie during breakfast. Mayzie is a normal kid who suddenly grows a daisy in the middle of her noggin during school. It's not fun at first. The kids tease her; the adults either want to study her or lock her up or banish her. She finally ends up becoming a celebrity, but being a curiosity has a high price. The Cat In the Hat finally helps her learn that love and respect are far more important than any fame, and being different isn't such a bad thing.

Based after the last story Seuss wrote (but didn't get to drawing), Mayzie isn't top-drawer, but is still rather sweet, and certainly more fun than The Butter Battle Book. This has a very different look than Butter or the earlier Seuss specials, brighter and a bit more fluid, perhaps because it was done by Hanna-Barbara.

Headed to the gym around 11, stopping only to drop a bag of clothing donations by the D.A.R.E containers. The gym was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday morning; I guess everyone wanted to get out now that it wasn't quite as hot or as humid outside. I timed it right; the stationary bikes gradually cleared as I worked out, and there were only a few other people on the weight machines when I worked on my legs.

I rode my bike to the Oaklyn Library next to do this week's session there. For once, there wasn't much to do in the kids' section. I just cleared board books out of the picture book shelves. The DVD shelves needed some serious re-arranging, especially the adult shelves. Oaklyn just started marking all new titles with a black sticker...and of course, I saw a pile of titles with black stickers in with the regular movies.

Spent the rest of the afternoon at my apartment. I had lunch, then did some cleaning. I made my bed. I swept the porch. I vacuumed, which finishes this month's cleaning. I took down the general spring decorations and put up the patriotic and general summer decorations. (Yes, I know the calender says summer isn't for another three weeks. We just got past our first major heat wave of the year. Mother Nature says it's summer.)

Work was surprisingly busy for the middle of the week, but then again, we're getting close to the beginning of the month. It slowed down by 9:30 enough for me to leave with no relief.

No comments: